1 hour ago, HeavyGunner said:

How bad is the DD13 mileage?  I have not been impressed with the mileage out of the DD15 I drive. 3.89-4.2 mpg is it. I suspect part of that problem might be because it’s poorly spec’d for the job it does. Not impressed at all with it in the power department either. 

What kind of work do you do? How was yours as far as regens? My 2013 DD15 was plagued with parked regens. It couldn't go 8 hours without a regen. And all kinds of DEF system problems. Only time it was any good was when I was pulling the pony grossing 140,000 pounds on the highway.

It did not like dump truck duty....especially hauling light snow loads in the winter.

I know they have made changes to these new ones. One thing is they no longer use air to purge the DEF system. It is all electric pumps now. And this one has smaller diameter exhaust piping under the cab and it is all insulated now.

Mostly oil field work. 350-400 miles a day. 2-4 hours of running the pto. 11 axle A train with dd15, 10sp and 3.73 rears. Never have been able to find a spot (rpm) where that Detroit will really pull. I used to have the exact same truck except with a c15 and it would walk all over this dd15. Rarely had to shift out of 10th with the cat, the Detroit I’m rowing through gears 7,8,9,10 continuously. Hell I get passed like I’m standing still all the time by hoards of governed fleet trucks all the time. I use about 2.5 gallons of def a day. Not too bad on regens but I doubt I go a month without dealing with a dummy light coming on that will eventually derate me if I don’t stop and get someone with a computer to clear it. Most times when I asked what’s wrong I’m told nothings wrong the computer just saw something it didn’t like. 

39 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Mostly oil field work. 350-400 miles a day. 2-4 hours of running the pto. 11 axle A train with dd15, 10sp and 3.73 rears. Never have been able to find a spot (rpm) where that Detroit will really pull. I used to have the exact same truck except with a c15 and it would walk all over this dd15. Rarely had to shift out of 10th with the cat, the Detroit I’m rowing through gears 7,8,9,10 continuously. Hell I get passed like I’m standing still all the time by hoards of governed fleet trucks all the time. I use about 2.5 gallons of def a day. Not too bad on regens but I doubt I go a month without dealing with a dummy light coming on that will eventually derate me if I don’t stop and get someone with a computer to clear it. Most times when I asked what’s wrong I’m told nothings wrong the computer just saw something it didn’t like. 

What year is yours? At the end this spring just before we sold our 2013, we found out two big causes of my issues. 

Number one....because of all the other problems I had with it, the dealer mechanics poked holes in all the wire harnesses with a test light and the harness that controls the DEF system corroded.

Number two....apparently there are bungs inside the One-Box that are known for cracking and breaking off.  And I think what was explained to me is the pipes inside go out of alignment? I was always wondering why mine when it was getting close to doing a parked regen would make trumpet sound in the exhaust. That was the cause. Had to replace the whole one box.

When my old DD15 ran right, I was happy with the power. With just the truck I can gross 80,000 and 140,000 with the pony. All our trucks have Eaton 18 double low, double overs with 4.30 rear gears on 22.5 rubber. (my new one has 4.10's)

And compared to our Coronado 122SD that had a 600/1850 ISX in it......from a standing start I could smoke our driver. It would accelerate and grab gears faster. But come a hill, I could hold equal until I had to drop that first gear. Then he would wave good by.

The way it worked out because I drove all three one day doing the same job, same loads...the ISX was 10 MPH slower on the hill than my 550 Cat and the DD15 was 15 MPH slower than the Cat. (on that particular short hill.)

And a hill that I could maintain 55 MPH with the ISX, the DD15 would drop to 40.

2014 Coronado  122sd.  I think part of the problem is it’s specd with a 10 speed and fairly tall gears. 1340 or so rpm at 60 in 10th.  It doesn’t pull very good at that rpm, constantly down shifting even at the sight of a hill.  If it’s not completely flat with no crosswinds or headwinds it’ll hold 60 mph. If there is the slightest hill or wind you’re done. That’s where I think an 18 speed would shine. I think a 250 rpm split would make a world of difference instead of the 500 rpm split of a 10 speed.  

Ya, that's why mine didn't seem under powered. I have an 18 speed and 4.30 gears. I was at 1650 RPM at 60 MPH.

HG, sounds like they geared your truck for the usual 80,000 pound federal weight limit, no wonder it's a dog at Montana's much higher weight limits.

Stellar toy box!

mmm  MMM  mmmm   Those Canadian water ways and the Walleye that grace them!

Yes, I'm lucky Mack Tech. I'm not in the big cities.  I get to play in the bush and see wildlife. I tried long haul for a couple years on the big roads and I HATED it! LOL.

• Thanks 1

More shameless self promotion, LOL.

Don't have a Mack to post any more so this will have to do.

007 (Large).jpg

009 (Large).jpg

016 (Large).jpg

018 (Large).jpg