Rob

Took my first ass chewing as a trucker yesterday:

Yup. Be-bopping my empty skateboard with the cruise set at 70mph on I-74W headed back to Peoria from Urbana, IL. In the left lane I was overtaking a dry van in the right lane whom was running slower following another dry van by just a few feet. The driver was obviously looking down into a device which was probably a cell phone? As I was inching closer to the cab of the second truck and dry van to overtake them also, I hadn't noticed the first overtaken truck had sped back up and was now running right beside me. At that time we all started down a slight incline and the second truck I was originally attempting to pass suddenly got in a real hurry and was out accelerating, or pulling away from me. No problem and as the original truck and trailer stayed with them I was now being passed on the right. As the original truck I had overtaken now passed me, the female driver, (I suppose "it" was female) looked like a lot lizzard from the 1970's, (rougher looking than the Illinois pavement we were driving upon) and after retirement taking a position holding a steering wheel for "Air-Land", pulling trailer #1715, "It" clearly flipped me the bird and uttered in the most polite way, "Fuck You, Asshole" which was clear to see as "it" went on past.

Left me with the thought; Air-Land will hire anything that can slither across the lot to hold their steering wheels. I did pass "it" again at the scales at Carlock, IL as being empty, I didn't need to weigh, and went on through. Never seen that thing again so don't know if "it" got off the road or hung back in the construction going on. 

Guess I'm a real trucker now.

I know the feeling Rob. Eben though speed limiting is mandated here, my trucks are not. I refuse to neuter anything I have to drive. And not that I want to speed, but when all you have is two lane highway around, and this new breed of drivers that just have to screw you over instead of letting you by.

We got a big fleet here, Manitoulin Transport. They have those big cabover super trucks with the drom boxes. They do 55 MPH anywhere you cannot pass. Their trucks have tiny motors so they are gutless. Now here you are at 140,000 pounds gross coming up to a couple mile long 8 to 10% grade. You get on a passing lane and they can suddenly do 70 MPH. That makes my blood boil. Because once you do get by them.....they disappear anyway. So why not have some respect and just let you go?

And then on the other end of the spectrum, when I was briefly hauling van with my highway truck through Toronto and Montreal.....you get all these immigrant drivers that love to drive side by side swerving back and forth over the lane markers.

F-that! I hammer down and am gone.

• Like 1

I usually drive slower than that actually; usually about 65mph but it was getting late and was already 11 hours into a workday. Only about four hours driving however and wanted to get back before the rain started again to get reloaded. This was my first time out in this truck after dark and the headlamps need replaced so kind of dim. The "episode" happened about 6:30 pm and still light outside and about sunset when I went across the scales at Carlock. Was dark when I got back to the shop to reload but the forklift has good lighting. Loading and tarping in the rain is no fun so wanted to get that done prior to it starting.

The truck doesn't have any speed limiting and is 410hp so slows down on hills when loaded. It cruises easily at highway speed on the flat and keeps up with traffic pretty good.

Just last Saturday evening, making my way home from a race in Cincinnati, I was on Rt 30 just outside of Canton.  Cruise set at 65 ish, minding my own bidness on a pretty empty road.  I come up on two cars running something under 65 and I'm too close to home to slow down.  I ease out and get by the first car.  As I approach the second car, it suddenly is going my speed.  I reach down and push on the go pedal to keep passing(I'm right on their qtr panel).  Nope, not letting me do it.  So I click the cruise off and mat the throttle.  I get up to 72(governor) and this young kid is pacing me right at my passenger door.  WTF?  I ease off the throttle and reach over to the brownie box and ease it into OD and reapply boost.  I know he hears me because his window is down.  I start to pull away.  74, 76, 78 mph.......  I look over and he has given up.  I blow the horn and keep at it.  Surely near 80 and GTF away from this azzhat.  Of course this clueless little chit is running his brights(those blue aftermarket bastards that are obnoxious as heck in low beam).  I move over and he continues to fall away.  By a mile or so he is ancient history and can't even find his stupid bright lights behind me.

I've had to do this more then once.  It's not the fastest truck on the highway, but I'm not afraid to go as fast as it can to get around someone messing with me.

80 is nothing for a car

The fact that he couldn't keep up with you proves he was a gutless *** ****

From my experience, most of the people that do this are driving little shitboxes and aren't good drivers.  Once you start to push the speed limit they quickly realize what they are and where they are and that "big" truck is not giving up easily.  

29 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

From my experience, most of the people that do this are driving little shitboxes and aren't good drivers.  Once you start to push the speed limit they quickly realize what they are and where they are and that "big" truck is not giving up easily.  

I've had them do that at times too. I usually await an over, or underpass and decide to "ease" over into their lane and they back off quick.

Posted (edited)

Oh ya, I like to give the steering wheel a wiggle and watch the trailer swing around and that usually makes them move>   Good for people that like to hang on the corner of my trailer in the passing lane.  I give them a mile or so to get by.  If not, I give it a shake and SUDDENLY then determine they need to get away?  Hmmm, you don't say???

Edited by Freightrain

I hate when you try to pass cause the amigo is texting and driving 45 and then you get up along side and then they can't stand being passed and they romp that auto trans and get up to 70 like nothing. 

• Like 1

Yep, I see it all, every day. Every day. 

I run 169 here in the city many times a day and that's were people come to do away with their life and I see it all.About 5 years ago I stop getting upset over stupid drivers cause I some time get the same way.Its hard but these young mothers sticking a long finger up don't even bother me any more.What still makes me blow my horn at them is when your setting behind little johnny and his mother at a stop light that done turn green and she is still texting.

1 minute ago, mrgumby said:

I would love to take a cop with me for one day and let him see what really goes on out there

Yes, if they put meaningful enforcement in place, the industry would change.

• Like 1

On certain roads a study shows that the the police being on the road cause more wrecks that is they are at the donut shop.I can understand it because some drivers see blue lights they hit the brakes and if they are in the center lane those that are on the other lanes and on the phone try to go around the cars who have cut their speed to 10 under then cars who pass on either side of slow car go for the center lane after passing and wrecks happen.I have seen it before here on 169 which has a speed limit of 65 but the people are running 75.Police what to slow people down would run maybe 5 cop cars at a time ever other day and maybe it help.

Cell phones need to get on top of it! Need to let people know there in the wrong lane & not keeping up with traffic & all. Lol!

I see cops texting a lot. One thing if they're sitting parked, but I'd say 7/10 times I pull up to em at a red light they've got a phone out.