1955 Allis Chalmers CA

Had this old Chamberlain longer, it was the first tractor I had with a cab, they're a Australian brand that got bought out by John Deere in the 70's I think it was 

They were the most popular tractor sold in Australia for some years from the 70's - the 80's

20190523-164445.jpg

Paul 

• Like 2

When it comes to tractors I'm not prejudice, I like them all. The old IH's are great tractors. I almost ended up with one. My Detroit mechanic restored a bunch of them and he was going to sell me one, but then he just can't part with them LOL.

So I found this local and jumped on it.

I have heard of a Chamberlain, but I don't know anything about them.

As someone who has restored tractors for over 40 years I would leave the Allis the way it is .Some shows have areas for tractors that are originals . That Allis is a good clean looking tractor .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eddeere said:

As someone who has restored tractors for over 40 years I would leave the Allis the way it is .Some shows have areas for tractors that are originals . That Allis is a good clean looking tractor .

Think so? Only bad thing is the guy I bought it from rebuilt thew engine so it got a rattle can paint job. So it looks different than the rest of the tractor.

I do have to get new power spinout rear rims though. They are rotten around the valve stems. Probably just get new ones made. Every time I have found used ones for sale they look almost as bad. And I got all new gauges, decal kit and other odds and ends to just to get it fit.

I like all the old brands of farm tractors. They all have a lot of interesting history and innovation behind them.

Do you do a lot of farming Paul? What do you have for crops?

I don't farm, just always been interested in it. I live about an hour away from a lot of  farm land. Hay and dairy is big here. When i was a kid I grew up beside a Massey Ferguson dealer.

My main crop is snow, LOL.

I'll have to go do some reading up on Chamberlain tractors.

011 (Large).JPG

042 (Large).JPG

• Like 1

Good looking Allis! 

A buddy had an Allis B model I believe.  He sold it about 10 years ago after maintaining it for the previous 10 years.  Come to find out, the fellow that bought it off him had sold the tractor brand new.  He had been the local Allis Chalmers dealer many years before.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

22 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Good looking Allis! 

A buddy had an Allis B model I believe.  He sold it about 10 years ago after maintaining it for the previous 10 years.  Come to find out, the fellow that bought it off him had sold the tractor brand new.  He had been the local Allis Chalmers dealer many years before.

That's a cool story. Nice to see it work out like that.

My farmer friend is a Deere guy but he has one Allis that has good Heat/AC so it does most of the manure spreading in the winter and ditch mowing in the summer.  He also has an 806 and a 966 that do various other jobs around the farms and an old M and an H that each run augers come harvest time. I haven't been able to work for him for more than 5 years now because of my full time job but come silage time I always liked to run the 806. It's a bit brisk in the early hours but at least I don't roast in the cab of the 966 from 11am until we're done!

DSCI0018.JPG

Chopping 09-10-13a IHC 966.jpg

DSCI0011.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/24/2019 at 1:42 AM, kscarbel2 said:

Paul, Chamberlain appears to have been ahead of its time. Australian engineering impresses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w-ZnkeXI7c

That's a Homemade gadget Kevin. Still  impressive though..

I believe It's still about & gets to a few Shows in W.A.

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

On 5/24/2019 at 11:56 AM, Bullheaded said:

Do you do a lot of farming Paul? What do you have for crops?

I don't farm, just always been interested in it. I live about an hour away from a lot of  farm land. Hay and dairy is big here. When i was a kid I grew up beside a Massey Ferguson dealer.

My main crop is snow, LOL.

I'll have to go do some reading up on Chamberlain tractors.

011 (Large).JPG

042 (Large).JPG

Mate I dont do as much as I used to

We were dairy farmers for many years before moving to the other end of Australia and grew sugar cane

We never made any money growing cane so changed over to hay beans millet and other crops

Hay ended up been our main income though

Paul 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

mrsmackpaul

Do you know of the Upton tractor? I was just reading an article about Carl Upton and his big 2WD tractors in my latest Antique Power magazine.

Pretty interesting story, and he sounded like a very smart man when it came to designing one of the worlds biggest 2WD tractors that proved to out pull 4WD's of the time many times during tests.

I liked how he used straight pipe exhaust on the Cummins NTC 350 so that it could "crack" LOL.

Pics "borrowed" from Google images.

126298.jpg

10883806-3x2-xlarge.jpg

10930734-3x2-xlarge.jpg

Edited by Bullheaded

Yes I do know of it  and as far as I know it's still around

I think that soil compaction would be the down side to getting so much to the ground with so little surface area actually touching the ground it would need to have tremendous weight transfer to utilize the power

Paul 

• 9 months later...