Australian Anthem

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

You're right Paul, most don't.

That may be the case, but they also need to quit working for nothing driving the rates into the ground. Like I said, we have new trucks, over $200,000 each and we have to compete with guys that have old junk and have to hide from the MTO/DOT and work for $53/hour.

But now with the emissions and SPIF laws it is finally forcing some of them to have to upgrade. And it looks good on them when they are going broke.

That's why I quit hauling salt. Picture this scenario.....You have a $220,000 truck and a $160,000 three axle pony dump trailer. Hauling 42 tonnes of salt, 63,500 KG gross up and down 8 to 12% hills for 5 hours each way of the trip. In blinding snow storms. And for that you get to make just over $200 for the day after you pay the fuel. And we quit and yet guys keep flocking to them to do it.

And you say $15,000 for a bull bar. Last time I priced a Mik Mak moose bumper (same thing basically) that are heavy duty and can withstand moose hits, it was $3500 to $5000 here depending on options. May have went up now with all the tariff's but still wouldn't be that high.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

And you say $15,000 for a bull bar. Last time I priced a Mik Mak moose bumper (same thing basically) that are heavy duty and can withstand moose hits, it was $3500 to $5000 here depending on options. May have went up now with all the tariff's but still wouldn't be that high.

Thats what I have been told, that would be a road train bull bar, strong enough to hook onto and pull a 100 plus ton out of a bog 

You can buy cheaper but they aren't manufacturer authorized so your warranty is void

No matter what happens people always seem to be keen to come in and under cut, seems to have always been the way in the free enterprise world we live in

It is a shame that old trucks are all getting forced off the road as that's how a lot of owner drivers start

Paul 

Unprofitably low rates have been the bane of American trucking since deregulation in the late 70s- Used to be that everybody made good money in trucking, now it's a dogfight for every last bit of "backhaul" freight!

Edited by Maxidyne
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, james j neiweem said:

Bullhead: What did you replace the Star with.

Nothing at this point. Enjoying life for a change right now. Trying to decide between a few different options. It's pretty tempting when you can change careers and make almost as much money with nothing but a lunch pail.

Edited by Bullheaded
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 10:09 AM, Maxidyne said:

Unprofitably low rates have been the bane of American trucking since deregulation in the late 70s- Used to be that everybody made good money in trucking, now it's a dogfight for every last bit of "backhaul" freight!

This statement is so true ! the money made today. Is the same money that was made back then with all the higher costs of rigs fuel and other expenses!I have been in truck repair my whole life and watched as the most powerful group of people fight and scramble to race each other to the bottom . Had they stuck together they could have made a good living! Think about it ! everything moves by truck if the trucks stop rolling no body eats! pretty decent Lever from my way of thinking! 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Well looking back at this thread now I can see I'm stupid. Turned down the job in the mine and went trucking again, LOL

Around here Swishy if your new $250,000 truck makes $1200.00 in a 12 hour day you are doing good. It's pretty sad. Will never change.

3 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Well looking back at this thread now I can see I'm stupid. Turned down the job in the mine and went trucking again, LOL

Around here Swishy if your new $250,000 truck makes $1200.00 in a 12 hour day you are doing good. It's pretty sad. Will never change.

From what I hear your lucky to be getting 1200 !    800= 900 mybe!

9 hours ago, fjh said:

From what I hear your lucky to be getting 1200 !    800= 900 mybe!

Well for snow removal here for the city, it is by bid and there are guys on the list at $53.00 per hour for a tri-axle. I don't even know how they pay their drivers? Probably not much, LOL.

R we bin Ripped off

6x4 primover $6666 each year to keep registered 

Trailers for each and every axle bout $800 each year to keep registered

Wage 38 hour week about $1000

Fuel $1.50 + - per liter

buy lunch while @ work  7 - 15$

11R22.5 Tyre bout $240

PlusPlusPlusPlusPlusPlus for all the incidentals

eye'm here to support the Gvmt LOL

cya

15 minutes ago, Swishy said:

R we bin Ripped off

6x4 primover $6666 each year to keep registered 

Trailers for each and every axle bout $800 each year to keep registered

Wage 38 hour week about $1000

Fuel $1.50 + - per liter

buy lunch while @ work  7 - 15$

11R22.5 Tyre bout $240

PlusPlusPlusPlusPlusPlus for all the incidentals

eye'm here to support the Gvmt LOL

cya

You can Afford to Buy Lunch............:loldude:

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

9 hours ago, Hayseed said:

You can Afford to Buy Lunch............:loldude:

Nope!  Your paying them to work for them! You should feel Great about being charitable !😁 

all in a days work! It Really is all about feeling good about contributing, Don't matter if you can eat!😡

Edited by fjh

• 8 months later...