Ultimate Gearhead buy?

41chevy

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Somewhere I heard or read that the track was abandoned and the rails pulled to where this engine is located. 

With no track, that may be a problem getting your auction win back home!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Many railroads have been known to haul these to other locations by truck. A lowboy with some rails and oversized load permits should get the job done. You just two or to take two trips otherwise the tender stays there.

EA80BF84-BE53-494C-96AF-164BF6034125.jpeg

C94E15B9-3F7A-40E8-9B21-DCC1CB399D79.jpeg

67DD90B1-D183-4274-A968-52EFD2B32814.jpeg

• Like 1

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

7 hours ago, gxbxc said:

Being a 2-10-2 that is a d&m big locomotive ,no problem it's a job for Mammoet. and about a million bucks 

That is right up  David Wild's alley, he moves aircraft and other massive things this would be a piece of cake. .

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

Cubic money!  375k, then another 500k to move it, then 10 mil to restore, then.......endless costs to maintain.

Just think about it... There is no one that would have anything like it, period! 

Endless cost, not many people alive to work on it or run it, no parts available, no place to even fire it it up without causing a seen. Sort of like old trucks, I'm in lets start a pool, I got a $100 to through in.

Oh, it takes two days and a couple of thousand bucks in fuel oil or coal just to get it hot enough to move if the boiler is certified and have some track to run it on. Maybe a static display wouldn't be out of the question. Great lawn ornament??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I took that tour of the Age of steam roundhouse, they spoke of how they would buy engines from  people that bought them, got in too deep and realized they would never have enough money to finish it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Don't need to truck it far, just make sure the axles spin free and put it on a freight line to where ever. We donated a couple rail cars a few years back to the New Hope Ivyland Railroad. We still had a rail siding attached to SEPTA's R5 route, so they were able tow them out with a freight train in between the Commuter train schedule.

Don't need to truck it far, just make sure the axles spin free and put it on a freight line to where ever. We donated a couple rail cars a few years back to the New Hope Ivyland Railroad. We still had a rail siding attached to SEPTA's R5 route, so they were able tow them out with a freight train in between the Commuter train schedule.

Based on the photos and an aerial view

The locomotive needs to move forward on tracks that longer exist and the right of way is grown over with trees and the switch has been removed

I don't think they will let you tow it on live tracks, you need timken bearings  and such,  they have so many requirements now, I think it was to stop just what you all are proposing,  We qouted the big steam engine in Athens GA. this year, still no answer, but then we qouted the C199 boxcar airplane in Greybull WY. a year ago and just got awarded project last week,  anything is movable, just need enough wheels under it.  love to move that engine but it's like going to a auction to haul yellow iron, they spent to much buying it and don't have any money to ship it home, that is what creates cheap freight,  there are enough brain deads trying to haul bigger loads and have no idea the costs involved, we qouted 2 loads from FL to Everett MA 15' 6" tall, told we were way out range, I told him he was crazy,  3 weeks later he calls back wanting to know if our qoute is still good, load next week at our price, and gave us the second load as well.   

And for you Democrat fruit cups  may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your nut sack,  MAPA, Make America Poor Again, vote Democrat.  (can't resist)

• Haha 1

Yup, that was my first thought.   Wheel Bearings!   That old bushing stuff is not allowed on the rails today.  Moving it would be more then the cost to purchase it.  Then the money to restore it.  Massive money pit.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Yup, that was my first thought.   Wheel Bearings!   That old bushing stuff is not allowed on the rails today.  Moving it would be more then the cost to purchase it.  Then the money to restore it.  Massive money pit.

It's the kind of thing someone like Jay leno might take an interest in.  

Could possibly even mount it on a rail car for transport, some freight routes are good for some pretty serious height...

Just trying to be an optimist, that is some really nice old iron. I would not mind using that as a hedgerow next to the railroad along the back of our 7 acres.