Looks like I may have a pretty good option coming forth citing I've once again become a productive member of society. If I can come up with something that will run electronic logs, I can have not only my current employment which has no backhauling, to a dedicated backhaul from another vendor. I'm thinking of maybe a newer, (around 2000-2002 model year) CH-613 SFA with a E7-427 engine and 13, or 18 speed transmission. Day cab only as I'm not living on the road and shouldn't run out of hours with the runs I do now. I absolutely despise that Fuller FRO-15210B in the International I'm driving but that's because the shift shaft and keys are worn out in the top cover, and it won't repaired if the truck still operates. And no, I'm not going to force failure. Makes for a real sloppy shifting, and inconsistent unit.

Ran across a pretty "crusty" RGN I'm putting thought to also. Has a lot of rust for being a 2007 but from the Northeast anything is possible. It is an XL80 mechanical detach with a flip. All 12 tires are good as are the brakes and underpinnings but about 1/2 the crossmembers are perforated. The main beams look pitted but don't have any holes from my understanding. A buddy looked at it for me and is going to look closer zooming in on the main beams. It is oriented in the photo too allow new wiring to be run:

image.jpeg.c11d59d102f873bf64bf2db854ae5536.jpeg 

• Like 1

• are you running within 100 miles of home?  if so, you can be ELD exempt

52 minutes ago, hatcity said:
  • are you running within 100 miles of home?  if so, you can be ELD exempt

No, it would be about 150 miles round trip. By the time it would take to load, transport, unload, deadhead to backhaul provider and get home, would be close in time. 

We are trying to figure a way to have the delivery staged the evening prior to save that time off me. Rain and sod/landscapers don't go so well together until the next day and then it's all Asshole and elbows.

• Like 1

Is it 150 miles 1 way or round trip

1 hour ago, Rob said:

No, it would be about 150 miles round trip. By the time it would take to load, transport, unload, deadhead to backhaul provider and get home, would be close in time. 

We are trying to figure a way to have the delivery staged the evening prior to save that time off me. Rain and sod/landscapers don't go so well together until the next day and then it's all Asshole and elbows.

100 mile radius if I remember correctly

In Montana it’s 150 air miles. 

I worded that badly: Each distance would be about 150 miles. The operating radius would be 150 miles.

I'm wondering what an electronic logging system requires to be utilized with an older truck which is completely mechanical, (1980 R Model)? Electronic speedometer or odometer, no problem. I'm assuming there is a module or transceiver installed into the truck but it needs inputs? I've never been involved with any electronic logging in the past so all greek to me, but I remember paper logs from years ago prior to exiting the trucking scenario. Can paper logs still be used? Truck stops still carry them? I've been detached for right at 15 years so certain a few things have changed in the timeframe...... Reason for the questions are to use their DOT number and go out of state, I need to use electronic logging as it's interfaced into their software. 

Posted (edited)

•  
  • ELD - AOBRD EXEMPTIONS

The ELD rule applies to most motor carriers and drivers currently required to maintain Records of Duty Status (RODS) per Part 395, 49 CFR 395.8(a). The rule applies to commercial buses as well as trucks, and to Canada- and Mexico-domiciled drivers. The FMCSA will, however, allow permit carriers using AOBRDs before December 18, 2017, to install and use AOBRD software until December 16, 2019, providing the carrier is ELD ready.

So who, exactly, is exempt from the ELD mandate? Below are the top six exemptions.

Vehicles Manufactured Before 2000

An electronic logging device (ELD) unit requires an engine control module (ECM). However, most engines manufactured before 2000 lack an ECM. Therefore, if a commercial motor vehicle’s engine was manufactured in 2000 or earlier, that vehicle is exempt from being required to use an ELD.

This exemption previously listed the cutoff year to be for the vehicle. However, it’s the engine that counts, and engines can be swapped. This exemption now applies to the engine’s model year, regardless of the vehicle’s registration date. Vehicles with engine models in 2000 or later require ELDs, even if the vehicle itself was manufactured before 2000.

Learn more: The Pre-2000 Model Year Exemption Applies to Engines, Not the VIN

Drivers Who Maintain RODS for 8 Days or Less

Drivers who maintain Record of Duty Status (RODS) for 8 days or fewer in a 30-day rolling period don’t need an ELD. They need to maintain paper logs, but the ELD itself isn’t legally required.

This includes short-haul drivers who occasionally take longer trips. However, drivers who break the short-haul exception more than 8 times in a 30-day period will need an ELD for the rest of that cycle.

This ELD exemption means that short-haul drivers who make longer trips infrequently don't have to upgrade.

100 Air-mile Radius

Some commercial drivers license (CDL) drivers fall under the short-haul exemption. These drivers report to work and either transport their loads to a specific location or completes a daily delivery. They then return their truck and go home.

To qualify, drivers must:

• Operate within a 100 air-mile radius of their normal work reporting location
  • Start and end the day at the same location
  • Be released from work within 12 hours
  • Have at least 10 hours off duty between each 12-hour shift
  • Not drive more than 11 hours

150 Air-mile Radius  non-CDL drivers fall under the short-haul exemption.

To qualify, they must:

• Operate within a 150 air-mile radius of the location where they report to and are released from work
  • Return to the normal reporting location at the end of each duty tour

Additionally, they must not:

• Drive any vehicle that requires a CDL.
  • Drive after 14 hours of coming on duty on 5 days of any period of 7 consecutive days
  • Drive after 16 hours of coming on duty on 2 days of any period of 7 consecutive day
  •  

Edited by 41chevy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

•  
  • ELD - AOBRD EXEMPTIONS

The ELD rule applies to most motor carriers and drivers currently required to maintain Records of Duty Status (RODS) per Part 395, 49 CFR 395.8(a). The rule applies to commercial buses as well as trucks, and to Canada- and Mexico-domiciled drivers. The FMCSA will, however, allow permit carriers using AOBRDs before December 18, 2017, to install and use AOBRD software until December 16, 2019, providing the carrier is ELD ready.

So who, exactly, is exempt from the ELD mandate? Below are the top six exemptions.

Vehicles Manufactured Before 2000

An electronic logging device (ELD) unit requires an engine control module (ECM). However, most engines manufactured before 2000 lack an ECM. Therefore, if a commercial motor vehicle’s engine was manufactured in 2000 or earlier, that vehicle is exempt from being required to use an ELD.

This exemption previously listed the cutoff year to be for the vehicle. However, it’s the engine that counts, and engines can be swapped. This exemption now applies to the engine’s model year, regardless of the vehicle’s registration date. Vehicles with engine models in 2000 or later require ELDs, even if the vehicle itself was manufactured before 2000.

Learn more: The Pre-2000 Model Year Exemption Applies to Engines, Not the VIN

Drivers Who Maintain RODS for 8 Days or Less

Drivers who maintain Record of Duty Status (RODS) for 8 days or fewer in a 30-day rolling period don’t need an ELD. They need to maintain paper logs, but the ELD itself isn’t legally required.

This includes short-haul drivers who occasionally take longer trips. However, drivers who break the short-haul exception more than 8 times in a 30-day period will need an ELD for the rest of that cycle.

This ELD exemption means that short-haul drivers who make longer trips infrequently don't have to upgrade.

100 Air-mile Radius

Some commercial drivers license (CDL) drivers fall under the short-haul exemption. These drivers report to work and either transport their loads to a specific location or completes a daily delivery. They then return their truck and go home.

To qualify, drivers must:

• Operate within a 100 air-mile radius of their normal work reporting location
  • Start and end the day at the same location
  • Be released from work within 12 hours
  • Have at least 10 hours off duty between each 12-hour shift
  • Not drive more than 11 hours

150 Air-mile Radius  non-CDL drivers fall under the short-haul exemption.

To qualify, they must:

• Operate within a 150 air-mile radius of the location where they report to and are released from work
  • Return to the normal reporting location at the end of each duty tour

Additionally, they must not:

• Drive any vehicle that requires a CDL.
  • Drive after 14 hours of coming on duty on 5 days of any period of 7 consecutive days
  • Drive after 16 hours of coming on duty on 2 days of any period of 7 consecutive day
  •  

Thanks Paul. That certainly hits the areas I needed addressed. That old 300+ engine still has a lot of life left in it and I've been trying to skirt the ELD mandate they insist upon. This should cover it. 

I think my R model would best that International pulling identical loads myself as the International takes quite some time to accelerate when loaded. 

Edited by Rob

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Rob said:

Thanks Paul. That certainly hits the areas I needed addressed. That old 300+ engine still has a lot of life left in it and I've been trying to skirt the ELD mandate they insist upon. This should cover it. 

I think my R model would best that International pulling identical loads myself as the International takes quite some to to accelerate when loaded. 

That's why I keep my 93 Marmon. Paper log and my Garmin to map  miles and time. Haven't had an issue. . . yet.

Edited by 41chevy

Spent quite a bit of time yesterday yakking with a trucker friend of mine whom runs older equipment and paper logs. He has been at it quite a while and runs a very clean 1996 Kenworth all over the southern parts of the country and doesn't have problems. He does not try to push the limits however and keeps the paperwork straight as that's the last 15 minutes of his working day in the truck. Apparently, it can be done; just has to be kept up with including time stamps on fuel, food, and motel breaks. Basically keep up on the time on duty, and off duty accurately.

Another friend of mine hauled this auction purchase trailer into their yard and it's needing a lot more work than the purchaser expected. I'm quite possibly going to look at it on Tuesday as it's supposed to rain most of the day and that will preclude any work in sod business.

image.jpeg.86b13751caee6f2af4c9f03607949347.jpeg

image.jpeg.72e7f06aa65d47e2bf13d2b93a4b2f3f.jpeg

Long day but I now own the trailer with the flip axle in the photo(s). Usable as is but needs some work which I can take care of myself. Priced too fair to let it slip by.

if you decide theres to much involved in the rehab let me know along with a price

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

if you decide theres to much involved in the rehab let me know along with a price

Will do but this is the type I've been after for quite a spell. Needs some crossmembers replaced and they are simple weldments of jr. I beam. Nothing serious for sure as the main beams are sound. 28' or 29' in the well and about a six inch rise to the approach angle from the ground. Needs deck replaced as it's very aged but could probably be stretched into another years use. Not really looking to use it for work yet and setting up for next year. Manually detached and attached the neck without dumping the air in a yard tractor easily using just a 4X4 oak timber and no tools! 

Same friend who's tractor is pulling it in the photos will get it to me as I don't have anything licensed to work. I could probably run with the antique plates empty but rather play it safe. The trailer is almost 475 miles distant. 

Edited by Rob