Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" #4014

1958 F.W.D.

14 hours ago, gxbxc said:

And when you stayed in the Red Caboose motel did you eat in the dining car restaurant.I have eaten there many times.

Yes, we had two meals in the dinning cars at the Red Caboose.  At the time of my visit, the cars were rigged up to add motion so it replicated running down the rails! 

A return trip to the Lancaster area is probably 3-4 years out.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

19 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Any one ever  eat at the Choo Choo Diner in Huntington Village? They would deliver you order to you at the counter on a  LGB steam engine and flatcars. Also there was the Rail Car Cafe in Stony Brook. A half dozen rail cars from passenger coaches to a few boxcars for dinning areas. Shame it's now the Curry Club Indian Restaurant.

f9093d6f17c7f18e537359c9f7662789.jpg.363bf66f62ba9df02ceb8a8ffd250c9d.jpg

I I would’ve loved to seen that. It’s a shame a lot of great places like this are gone

• Like 1

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

I ate with the Family and some friends at a German place  in Nashville ,( it is across the street from titian  stadium ) and they. had an LGB train running on the floor in one end of the dining room .I remember the kids were all laying on the floor watching it .My Irish wife was  mortified  because the place was was not up to her 4 star standards , but the people who ran the place were friendly as all get out when they found out I was German . and the food was good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gxbxc said:

I ate with the Family and some friends at a German place  in Nashville ,( it is across the street from titian  stadium ) and they. had an LGB train running on the floor in one end of the dining room .I remember the kids were all laying on the floor watching it .My Irish wife was  mortified  because the place was was not up to her 4 star standards , but the people who ran the place were friendly as all get out when they found out I was German . and the food was good

Good German restaurant in Speonk on Long Island owner was an ex WWII POW who stayed here and now his children and grand children run it. Food worth traveling for.  My wife loved Chinese food until I told her the three letters translated into "We Buy Cats". Never ate Chinese food again. :)

• Haha 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

We had an old school rootbeer stand locally that had either Lionel or LGB track hanging around the perimeter of the center walkway.  Sadly the owner passed, the property sold and it's now a Dollar General?  Something like that.  Sure do miss going there.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

While I was lost in the woods in Pa I found an old fashion hotdog stand ,the place was huge ,there were picknick tables all set under a roof and there was an asphalt  floor there were like 4 or 5 seperate order stations selling different food . I have never been back but it is some place west of I81 and south of Scranton.

2 hours ago, gxbxc said:

While I was lost in the woods in Pa I found an old fashion hotdog stand ,the place was huge ,there were picknick tables all set under a roof and there was an asphalt  floor there were like 4 or 5 seperate order stations selling different food . I have never been back but it is some place west of I81 and south of Scranton.

Place in Oyster Bay when I grew up called Bonanza's, been there since 1900. A little 8x8 stand sells hotdogs with home made mustard and an onion/pickle topping. Dogs are good but the best is their home made Lemon Ice. Spent a lot of lunch money there as a kid on the Ices. Town hates it because it's on "valuable" property and grandfathered in.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Down in Millville was a dinner that the guy was a lionel nut had a track up at the ceiling around the place and pretty nice trains on the walls plus the metal trucks and tractors baseball bats and all kinds of baseball stuff. it was never to long till your order of fresh made hamburgers and fries came. every time you went in there was something different to see. Four years ago the place burned down they got nothing out.