What's the turbo that rochester uses?

brettj3876

Ah! my mistake  So In my opinion you should be looking into an injector with bad or low cracking pressure or a valve hanging up! check your valve set first! does the engine have much blow by?

6 hours ago, fjh said:

Ah! my mistake  So In my opinion you should be looking into an injector with bad or low cracking pressure or a valve hanging up! check your valve set first! does the engine have much blow by?

No not even 20k on the inframe and injectors from rochester. Possible we got a bad one?

12 hours ago, fjh said:

Possible!  was the pump redone?

Got one online along with an econovance, both rebuilt. 

Since it was originally a 350 from the factory could the data file have something to do with it after upping the hp and going to lower comp pistons? The thing is that it only studders/smokes at light or no load. Once you step on the peddle it runs like a pissed off dog. No blow by and we haven't had to add a drop of oil on both changes so far

• 1 month later...

UPDATE. And long post

Monday were taking a ride to Trovei and sons (huge mack graveyard in port jervis ny) to see about getting pump, lines, pedal, linkages everything to convert the 93 to mechanical. We found a local guy that does nothing but P pumps. From stock rebuilds to sled pulling 12 valves. My dads already been on the phone with him, explained the setup were running. Running the 15.3 pistons with big injectors and the s475 he figures lock it up around 25-26. He mentioned going flat top plungers and maybe different cut delivery valves. Either way the pump is gonna be rebuilt. 

Hooked up the prolink while pulling a loaded wagon. Says it has a 400 file in it. Anyways under full load it was getting 16-17 right on point for the 93 400 specs. The 350 file has 22 deg of timing full load and the 300 has 25 deg at full load. We tried getting cook bros mack in Binghamton ny to see about putting the 300 file in it. Going down in hp you think they would.......nope. 

Another strange mack quirk. The 1993 tune up manual we have lists specs and pump configuration for all E-7 and E-9s for that year. The 250 to 400 E-7 all have the same compression ratio of 16.9, but in most other literature it lists 375 and up 15.3 and below that 16.5. We hadn't heard of 16.9 until that tune up book. Bear with me

So thats a big jump 16.9 to 15.3 plus adding big injectors and the huge S475. To compensate for the "extra" space and more fuel in the combustion chamber shouldn't the timing be bumped up more? I would think it would need to be and the pyro is telling me that too. The exhaust heats up faster than it should on a pull. Almost like before the inframe with stock turbo and the blixxton.

16-17 degrees is too far retarded for the setup we have now. We would love to stick with variable timing vmac but so far no luck getting a file from VoMack. I know someone here works at Watts, forget who but if i give u a vin can you try to work your magic? We'd be down there in a heartbeat. 

Thanks in advance and ill post pics of the 93 tune up book if you guys want. It even has the data file # and all the tech specs on the diff hp levels for 93

• 4 months later...

https://youtu.be/LMps1A4uf5Q ok reviving this thread since i found out how to upload vids. If you go back and re-read you'll see what im talking about but the short of it is this

Factory 350 vmac1 with 16.9:1 compression. We went with the lower comp 15.3 pistons and stage 2 injectors from Rochester + blixxton. It never smoked/missed before the rebuild and bigger injectors. And it only smokes under no load or light load conditions. 

We swapped out the pump and econovance to rule that out and still does same thing. Checked each injector and they're good also. Were going mechanical anyways (pump being built now) but figured a video would help with my explanation