New Autocar DC-64 Conventional Truck

autocardc

Autocar isn't dumb, now that they've done the hard work to bring this truck to market, no doubt they're working on a long hood version and maybe set forward axle versions too. Meanwhile at Mack they had a big block CL with Cummins power and even Mack V8 power before that, but since 2006 all they've had is the overpriced Titan with too few options for a couple years.  After a construction company has to go to Daimler, Navistar, or Paccar for a lowboy tractor they're unlikely to go back to Mack for their straight trucks and under 80k GCW tractors.

Autocar Trucks launches DC-64R "Always Up" conventional truck

Autocar  /  May 7, 2019

The Autocar DC-64R is a conventional truck that is suited for refuse-hauling.

Autocar Trucks announces the launch of the Autocar DC-64R, a conventional truck for severe-duty refuse applications. Autocar’s guiding mission is to build trucks to be “Always Up”, that is, to stay in service despite the challenges of severe-duty applications. The Autocar DC-64R (the R stands for refuse) is suited for refuse-hauling.

James Johnston, president, Autocar, said “The DC-64R is the direct result of the requests, insights, data, and guidance we received from many waste haulers across the industry. We could not have engineered a truck this good without all their feedback that resulted in innumerable improvements. We’re grateful for their help and proud to bring to this market a truck that is honestly customer-built.”

Eric Schwartz, managing director, Autocar Trucks, said “The DC’s cab is totally new and was designed by Autocar from the beginning for exceptional productivity, durability -- and especially safety -- in the refuse industry. The workspace of the cab maximizes productivity for drivers… with everything visible and within easy reach. The cab also easily fits three, so work crews can get to and from their routes comfortably. Our unique raked windshield provides exceptional visibility for safety. And, true to our Always Up mission and Autocar’s legendary toughness, the interior uses authentic materials like a full steel structure inside the dashboard and aluminum sheets as dash panels. Even the interior door handles are aluminum tubes, not plastic. The totally new cab structure is built from a combination of steel, judiciously chosen aluminum components, and corner castings to withstand years of refuse abuse.”

According to the company, the Autocar DC-64R is the first truck ever built to feature 160,000 PSI steel frame rails. The primary benefit for this waste hauler is a significant weight savings that directly increases effective payload.

Johnston continued, “One of the things we’re most proud of – because it will make a big difference in our customers’ business – is our totally upgraded electric system to resist the worst the garbage business can dish out. The DC also brings our customers the Autocar Always Up display, with game-changing ‘one-touch diagnostics’. It actually tells the operator or technician what fault has occurred and shows them how to fix it. It gets trucks back into service and making money faster than anything anyone has had before.”

Schwartz added, “Everything about this truck is designed to solve problems our customers have with other trucks and achieve our goal of Always Up. There are so many other innovations, from the engines up to 500 HP that are hundreds of pounds lighter, to a real breakthrough in body integration. This truck is just revolutionary in the ways it will help waste haulers serve their customers and create ROI.”

The company revealed it has already accepted firm orders for production of the DC-64R at its Birmingham, Alabama factory, starting at the end of this summer.

According to the company, the DC-64R is the first conventional truck for the Autocar brand in 31 years, and it joins the ACX and ACMD cabover trucks, and the ACTT terminal tractor, as Autocar’s fourth line. The truck also represents the rebirth of Autocar’s DC, first introduced by The Autocar Company in 1939, as its severe-duty and diesel-powered work truck.

The DC is also the first of Autocar’s lines to carry the Autocar bowtie logo, reborn on its 100th birthday.

Johnston commented, “We’ve gone back to Autocar’s roots with the logo... It’s the perfect time to show that we are inspired by the best of our history to build something fantastic for the future.”

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

• Like 1

I hope they build a better conventional than cabover. Refuse trucker told me he had Autocar cabover, it did not hold up like his Mack's. By the way I have seen lot of WM Pete cabovers under the hook the last few weeks. 

No interior pics yet? Thanks to all those that have posted.

I think they are doing it smart anyway. Their core market is refuse and this all the truck you need for that. And the X12 is all the power it needs, especially when backed by an Allison auto as that makes a small motor feel like a bigger motor.

And since they also make concrete pump truck chassis, this truck might be enough for a tandem mixer also.

Who knows if they will go bigger, but they are starting out the right way with this truck.

• Like 1

Autocar Rolls out New Conventional Truck Model

Heavy Duty Trucking (HDT)  /  April 7, 2019

America’s self-proclaimed oldest truck builder has a new conventional model hitting the market. The Autocar DC-64R is a completely new conventional truck purpose-built from the ground-up for severe-duty refuse applications, according to the OEM. The company added that the new truck features several innovations that make it especially suited to refuse-hauling applications.

“The DC-64R is the direct result of the requests, insights, data, and guidance we received from many waste haulers across the industry,” said Autocar President James Johnston. "We could not have engineered a truck this good without all their feedback that resulted in innumerable improvements. We’re grateful for their help and proud to bring to this market a truck that is honestly customer-built.”

The DC model’s cab is totally new and was designed by Autocar for productivity, durability and safety in the refuse industry. “The workspace of the cab maximizes productivity for drivers,” explained Managing Director Eric Schwartz. “From the biggest guys to petite women, with everything visible and within easy reach. The cab also easily fits three, so work crews can get to and from their routes comfortably. Our raked windshield provides exceptional visibility for safety. And the interior uses authentic materials like a full steel structure inside the dashboard and aluminum sheets as dash panels. Even the interior door handles are aluminum tubes, not plastic. The totally new cab structure is built from a combination of steel, judiciously chosen aluminum components, and corner castings to withstand years of refuse abuse.”

Autocar said the DC-64R is the first truck ever built to feature frame rails made from ultra-high-strength 160,000 PSI steel, which the company said is 24% stronger and lighter than the rails on other trucks on the market and completely eliminates the need for frame liners in nearly all refuse applications. The primary benefit for the waste hauler is a significant weight savings that directly increases effective payload – and therefore, profitability.

“One of the things we’re proudest of is our totally upgraded electric system to resist the worst the garbage business can dish out," Johnston said. “The DC also brings our customers the Autocar Always Up display, with one-touch diagnostics. It actually tells the operator or technician what fault has occurred and shows them how to fix it.”

The DC-64R is the first new conventional truck for the Autocar brand in 31 years. It joins the ACX and ACMD cabover trucks and the ACTT terminal tractor, as the OEM’s fourth in its model lineup.

The new truck also represents the rebirth of Autocar’s DC, first introduced by The Autocar Company in 1939 as its premier severe-duty, diesel-powered work truck. The DC is also the first of Autocar’s lines to carry the recently announced Autocar bowtie logo, reborn on its 100th birthday.

Autocar was created in 1899, just one year after the Winton Motor Vehicle Co. built the first truck in North America. Over the years, Autocar was a key player in the trucking industry and introduced numerous innovations. It changed owners a number of times before being acquired by Volvo in 1981 as part of the acquisition of White Motor. In 2001, Autocar became a subsidiary of Grand Vehicle Works Holdings LLC of Union City, Indiana, after Volvo Trucks North America spun it off. Volvo was required to sell its low-COE truck business as part of the deal to acquire Mack Trucks/Renault RVI.

I like the look of it with a Roll off better than the rear packer. I dont see WM or other larger companies looking at conventional for their packer trucks. Besides a few large citys like Chicago or NYC the days of 3 man crews on trucks are all but gone, at least thats how it is here. not to mention the better maneuverability with a low entry cab over truck. Regardless I think it will be refreshing to see a New Autocar out on the street.  I know of a few people that like the Autocars better than low entry macks. I dont know what is better between each other and have never driven either but I do think Mack had something right for many years as thats all I have really seen around here until the last 5 years when WM started looking at Paccar..

On 5/7/2019 at 7:53 AM, kscarbel2 said:

C'mon guys, in the North American market, for over 90 percent of the operators, the 350-500hp X12 is all they need.

True, for a lot of the compactor work the ISL would be more than enough. !!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

While I find the headlights to be a little goofy looking I like it overall. It really does seem to be a design that the DC/DK could have evolved into over the past 30 years. Congrats to Autocar for actually building a truck and getting themselves setup to produce a truck instead of just producing vaporware and computer generated photos.

• Like 2

They're making a big deal about the rails...........

"The Autocar DC-64R (the R stands for refuse) is the first truck to feature ultra-high-strength 160,000 PSI steel frame rails, which Autocar says is 24 percent stronger and lighter than the rails on other trucks on the market, and eliminates the need for frame liners in nearly all refuse applications."

https://www.ccjdigital.com/autocar-debuts-first-new-conventional-in-three-decades/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

They're making a big deal about the rails...........

"The Autocar DC-64R (the R stands for refuse) is the first truck to feature ultra-high-strength 160,000 PSI steel frame rails, which Autocar says is 24 percent stronger and lighter than the rails on other trucks on the market, and eliminates the need for frame liners in nearly all refuse applications."

https://www.ccjdigital.com/autocar-debuts-first-new-conventional-in-three-decades/

Does anyone offer rails that are over 120,000 PSI?   And I'm not talking about some one of a kind Paccar.  I'm talking about a true "stock production line option".    Nothing like a heavy single channel frame when the in service years accumulate in snow country!

19 minutes ago, Phase 1 said:

This is where the grill design came from.

I understand that, but I still don't care for the cab-over-engine U Series' grille on a MY2020 DC Series conventional cab truck, specifically the extensions on the left and right side.

I would rather see a classic yet updated DC grille, in two different widths depending on cooling package requirements.

I remember talking to a frame shop and the welder commented that Mack's break frames because of their stiffness and they are more brittle. he said a softer frame will take twists and abuse longer but both will eventually fail if the stress continues. I'm no metal expert it's just what I hear. I think mack has 120,000 tensile strength rails

10 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

I remember talking to a frame shop and the welder commented that Mack's break frames because of their stiffness and they are more brittle. he said a softer frame will take twists and abuse longer but both will eventually fail if the stress continues. I'm no metal expert it's just what I hear. I think mack has 120,000 tensile strength rails

Relating to chassis articulation, I pay more attention to the crossmembers, how rigid the crossmembers as selected make the frame.

17 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

It's more than tensile strength. It also goes to annealing the blanks before forming them, the radius of the flanges on the channels, heat treating them after forming to return them to their required Rockwell number , boring the holes for the fasteners instead of punching them and even down to using the proper amount of coolant during drilling and cutting. Most all of that will give you an eventual failure point.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I like the general theme of the grille, but not the extensions on the left and right side.

I kinda agree. It would have looked more classic without the nostrils. And different headlights.

But I still like it.

• Like 1