New Autocar DC-64 Conventional Truck

autocardc

It's anyone's guess.

Venture capital firm GVW Capital's niche with it's Autocar, LLC project has been principally refuse, so hence we can expect a vocational conventional (bonneted) truck which can inherently be sold to tipper and ready-mix fleets as well.

Obviously times have changed.......it will have to be substantially lighter than the Autocars of old in order to compete in the modern world.

Interestingly, it will likely feature the superb X12. My point? Paccar foolishly didn't sign a purchase agreement with Cummins for the X12. So all those Paccar fleets which bought ISX12s are now being forced to buy the Paccar MX13, or switch brands. Absolutely stupid on Paccar's part.....give the customer an engine choice.

Aside from Autocar, only Daimler's gaudy/tacky Western Star 4700 and (cheap) 114SD are available with the outstanding X12. Navistar and Mack don't offer it.

So I say the X12, a high-performing low weight package, will give the new Autocar conventional a nice sales advantage right out of the gate.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I think everyone's scared their own 11-13 liter engines will lose sales to Cummins X12 if they offer it. I suspect Daimler only offered it because they're vulnerable to antitrust lawsuits, and they're only offering it in vocational chassis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

My point? Paccar foolishly didn't sign a purchase agreement with Cummins for the X12. So all those Paccar fleets which bought ISX12s are now being forced to buy the Paccar MX13, or switch brands. Absolutely stupid on Paccar's part.....give the customer an engine choice.

We Don't get the X12 at All down here.!! & unlikley to I would think..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

I hope you guys are right about a new truck. Because last thing I read was they were just showing the pics of the old Autocar conventionals at shows for marketing to show their old heritage.....even though it is a different company, LOL.

Would be nice if they do though. I'd like to see what they come out with.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hayseed said:

We Don't get the X12 at All down here.!! & unlikely to I would think..

There was a plan. The X12 is known as the ISG in China - same engine.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/40094-cummins-starts-field-testing-heavy-truck-engine-in-australia/?tab=comments#comment-290546

The North American market doesn't get the 10.5 litre variant, which I feel is a mistake.

• Like 1

Grand Vehicle Works bought the White designed low cabovers from Volvo after they bough Mack, Volvo had to sell because between the White/Volvo and Mack low cabovers they had a monopoly position in that market. I suspect Volvo included a non compete agreement for several years that barred GVW from building conventionals.

• Like 1

Holy sh!!!!!!!!!! They did build one. Well they beat the T-Line guys to it. That looks like a cross between everything out there.

When I look at it I see International HX, Peterbilt, Granite, Freightliner with a 1960's Autocar grill styling.

I can't wait to see the interior. I hope it works out for them.

Thanks for posting Engineer!

• Like 2

Now wouldn't it be funny if they offer a heavy haul truck you can logging or oilfeild with, that has big power and they let you put a real sleeper on it, LOL.

That would make a good dump truck spec too with the 500/1750 X12. That's basically all you need for that.

10 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

There was a plan. The X12 is known as the ISG in China - same engine.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/40094-cummins-starts-field-testing-heavy-truck-engine-in-australia/?tab=comments#comment-290546

The North American market doesn't get the 10.5 litre variant, which I feel is a mistake.

The trouble is ; that Kenworth refuse to Fit it to anything..

They've just released 2 new Models at the lower end of their range.

The T410 is MX13 powered only & the new T360 is ISLe5 powered only whereas the previous T359 also had the ISMe5 as an option. which was very popular with car carriers & quarry companies..

Freightliner will (I suspect) use the 11litre Benz Motor.

Which leaves Western Star,& since Roger Penske has taken over the Distrubution rights here. Is a Mere Shadow of It's former self. They do however Sell X15 powered versions of the 4800& 6900 here. 

So a X12 powered 5800 is a possibility ...& would sell well, in my opinion.

Foton (Who build the X12) have had a Small presence here for a few years selling ISF powered Utes(pickups) & light Trucks, & have just released a medium Truck powered with the 6 cylinder version of the ISF maybe some time down the Track they might bring  their X12 powered Primemover down here..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

I can't wait to see more pics of the cab. I see so many components of that truck that look like they are from suppliers that are used on other makes.

Do you think it's all an in house build or is it sourced from other manufacturers?

Their low cabovers are still well liked in the refuse industry and now with this I can see them taking some of the roll-off, dump and maybe even ready-mix markets.

• Like 1