Mack Trucks' market share continues decline

kscarbel2

Jon Harris, The Morning Call  /  April 24, 2019

While Mack’s deliveries rose in the first quarter, its order intake was down big. In the quarter, Mack took in some 3,200 orders, down 67% from the same period one year ago.

Mack’s market share in North America continued to drop in the first quarter, hitting 5.5%.

Heffner noted that the overall heavy truck market has grown primarily in the long-haul segment, which Mack hopes to grab a larger portion of the long-haul segment as the year progresses on the strength of the Anthem.

A lot of MACK fleets and town & city have switch to Peterbuilts  C/F-Gulf oil   NEMF   Island trans.  switch ? also it does not help when you go to a dealership that sells several different brands knowing the bottom line price and turning into a bidding war within the dealership that sells the end product . 

Ed

Anyone living in a big city where you see fleets and lots of trucks would have seen this coming by simply watching who was buying what. Volvo would have seen it at the same time if they had retained good mack people and listened to them. But Volvo knows better and they were busy putting all their focus on a 30 year old truck, adding a slightly different styled hood complete with a proven unreliable engine under it then having the balls to call it a new Mack truck... Yeah thats the answer!  The people at the top just dont seam to care or are just that dumb to think they can fool owners. Thru the last 10 years they have taken all the Mack Dealers and changed them over to Volvo dealers and do not try and sell or build reliability into their trucks. They dont even push sales or listen to fleet owners who are having the same issues over and over again.  It seams obvious to anyone who goes to a dealership that Volvo is naive to what they have done to Mack. Volvo just is not maintaing or keeping Mack in step with others.  I am still amazed they pump money into rebuilding the mack plants and then literally just open the door for paccar to walk in a take market share away.

P.S I chuckle when people say Mack is stronger than ever with this Anthem truck. When build lead times are a year out. Who the hell would want a mack right now when you cant even get one because of their incompetence. 

Trent

• Like 1

What was Dodge's market share of class 7 and 8 in 1975 when they decided to exit the market?  Seems to me it was around 5%.  Scary.

Like Dodge back then, I think it would help if Mack had more dealers.  Or dealers period.  I live in Los Angeles and I don't even know where the nearest Mack dealer is.  Maybe somewhere in Long Beach?    

• Like 1

My local dealer (which has three locations in a 4 hour radius) is not even allowed to sell new Mack's anymore. They can still do warranty work but can't sell them.

Not positive why but I had heard it was because sales volumes were too low.

Regardless...a lot of good it is having three Mack dealers that don't sell trucks.

11 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

What was Dodge's market share of class 7 and 8 in 1975 when they decided to exit the market?  Seems to me it was around 5%.  Scary.

Like Dodge back then, I think it would help if Mack had more dealers.  Or dealers period.  I live in Los Angeles and I don't even know where the nearest Mack dealer is.  Maybe somewhere in Long Beach?    

Well I went to my B model "Operation and Maintenance Manual" .  No publication date but it covers, B, G, H and N models so my guess is late fifties.  Two Mack Branches in CA- one in LA at 2001 S. Alameda St. and one in SF at 1745 Folsom.

Again these were Branches so there could have been Mack dealers in the state