Rob

Requirements:

Good morning. I'm going to bring my R-612ST out of retirement and start using it seasonally, (at least) working with my current employer. If I baseplate in Illinois I'll be covered here. What do I need to do to run into Missouri, and Indiana also as their customer base is barely into both states? They currently purchase temporary permits but if I do this with my truck it will be best to apportion I'm thinking.

Thanks,

Rob

Yes Apportioned plates are easier. But expensive. Don't forget your IRS 2290 if your over 55,000 Lb. Then you'll need an IFTA fuel sticker. Keep track of the miles for each state for reporting.  Don't get discouraged yet

• Like 1

Can-o-worms?

They wanted to set up our stakebed to travel across state lines at work(after getting caught without all the proper paperwork).  What a disaster.  Paperwork and more paperwork(and of course it was going to have to be my responsibility).  I told them to use the pickup and trailer and be inconspicuous.

They currently have two semi tractors and flatbed trailers. These along with a straight truck. Both tractors are licensed to 80K, the straight truck for 36K, and the temporary permits are $11.00 each time. They could use at times a third tractor and trailer, but the work is seasonal so really not an option citing cost(s). If I bring my tractor and trailer on they would be willing to support the expenses of the endeavor to lessen them overall for all parties. I don't know how long or many trips per year into the adjoining states at this writing. My Mack would be licensed for 80K also.

They have 2001 International 9200i tractors and 48', and a 45' closed tandem composite trailers. Both are air ride. 72K is about what a trailer load is dependent upon moisture content. Never a problem with axle weight I've seen so far.   

Sounds like a real "If-maybe" kinda thing.   If they are willing to offset the cost, might be worth it.  Would you still be an employee or sub-contractor at that point?  Is one better then the other when it comes to the truck deal?

Our trips to PA or IN are random and we've done it for decades.   Then one trip to PA about 7-8 yrs ago got the driver pulled over by DOT because they saw no signs/DOT on the doors.  Bam, busted.  Again, for the random trip over and to avoid all the paperwork(IFTA, Med card, audits, etc) I would have to deal with just for it, we use the pickup/utility trailer and play "we're just J Q Public with a trailer".

• Like 1

Our great governor in Pa just passed something that actually helps me.    Pickups towing trailers over 10,000 no longer need to be licensed combination as long as it is recreational and not for buisness.  This will save me about $400 a year on my pickup tags.   Just can’t exceed mfg tow ratings. 

• Like 1

They're trying to catch all the uShip clowns trying to pass off for hire trucking as "just hauling my junk with my pickup and trailer".

• Like 1

Plenty of "outlaw" trucking today.  Good or bad.

We're not "unsafe".  We're not dealing with big, heavy loads.  I'm talking 800# piece of round stock, just too long to fit in an 8ft bed.

We use a 15ft utility trailer.

Posted (edited)

You don't have to pay heavy use tax ( you do still have to file a 2290) if you put less than 5000 miles on  per year

Edited by 6368

I think any thing over 10,000 GVW  should be CDL and DOT card. Too many clowns on the road, that should not be driving overloaded F-250's and pulling trailers. The rules should be the same for everybody on the road. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob said:

Good morning. I'm going to bring my R-612ST out of retirement and start using it seasonally, (at least) working with my current employer. If I baseplate in Illinois I'll be covered here. What do I need to do to run into Missouri, and Indiana also as their customer base is barely into both states? They currently purchase temporary permits but if I do this with my truck it will be best to apportion I'm thinking.

Thanks,

Rob

I f you have hobby insurance, a commercial will be a whole lot more, but I'm sure you have checked that out.     terry:MackLogo:

Larry

Another way around your problem is a dummy invoice/bill of sale where the driver owns the piece of steel??? But if the pick up is registered in the company name that would not work either???

In Pennsylvania, we have the PA Public Utility Commission. If you are hauling someone else's goods you have to register with the PAPUC and display your number on your truck. If you're hauling your own goods, you don't need it. Not sure if your states have something similar, but you'd be hauling "someone else's" goods, with your truck, so you'd fall into that category. PAPUC required a safety audit where they came out, looked over my employee folder (worked for myself, dumb I know...), Looked over my truck maintenance log book (the big shop log, not the day trip log), drug consortium paperwork, Etc. Etc. Etc. They wanted my pre hire drug test results and everything. A hassle, but once you figure out what exactly they want it's not a big deal. 

Might be easier to notarize a legal contract "giving" them the truck until such time as you decide you want it back. You can stipulate in the contract who is allowed to drive it, work on it, etc. But it'd put it under their operating authority (usdot #, their 2290's, etc etc.)

In Pennsylvania there's a $50 minimum for business to business vehicle sales, could be a way to keep sales tax down, since it wouldn't even really be a sale, more of a lease.

8 hours ago, TS7 said:

I think any thing over 10,000 GVW  should be CDL and DOT card. Too many clowns on the road, that should not be driving overloaded F-250's and pulling trailers. The rules should be the same for everybody on the road. 

That is the way it is. I have both in place and have kept them current over the years. However I've not operated a large truck since exiting the car hauling business in 2005.

8 hours ago, terry said:

I f you have hobby insurance, a commercial will be a whole lot more, but I'm sure you have checked that out.     terry:MackLogo:

Yes, I carry "hobby" insurance on the truck and commercial insurance is much greater cost. This is where they are willing to help. Just don't know how that would work given I would haul their product, and possibly some freelance work also.

10 hours ago, 6368 said:

You don't have to pay heavy use tax ( you do still have to file a 2290) if you put less than 5000 miles on  per year

I do believe there would be more than 5K miles per year as both are running heavy and do run heavy about six months of a year.

I dropped the frozen tail roller and fender mounts from the truck yesterday as it was raining and didn't have anything to do. Going to clean up the back end and reinstall most with new material. A buddy is going to bring me a three foot section of heavy wall oilfield pipe to make a new roller from:

image.jpeg.fc5e9c04d0dcbb5e3b6a5db1b1952b66.jpeg

The steel fenders are beat to hell and won't clean up acceptably well so going to remove them also. Far too many scab welds holding them together for me. May replace with new but pulling a flatbed I won't require them anyways. When I find an RGN priced fairly it will have fenders on the neck so again the truck mounted types will not be required. Although the closed jaws of the 5th wheel measure acceptably, I still have some "slap" in the new kingpin on my dropdeck. I'm thinking the pins the jaws pivot around are worn so going to rebuild the 5th wheel correctly with new parts.

Was adjusting the clutch yesterday and reached the end of adjustment so going to replace pretty quickly. I have a new unit and freshly machined flywheel with hindsight saying I should have changed them with the transmission a couple months ago..... If you remember I changed the transmission to ensure it was good being from a burnt truck and given to me. Now being proven sound, I'll pull it, change the clutch assembly and reinstall along with a two line wet kit I have at the ready. Once the wet kit is installed I'll probably convert the winch to hydraulic drive with "in cab" controls.

From under the truck I noticed two holes in the cab I did not know were there from rust. Right where the bottom of the cab transitions from vertical to horizontal just to the passenger side of the rear cab mount. Can't repair it with all the winch apparatus installed so will build up another bare cab I have to replace this original.

The company I'm working for runs very clean looking equipment. I'm probably going to refinish this truck staying white as it needs a repaint and some fiberglass work on the hood regardless. The doors will sport magnetic signs so I can rebrand the truck easily.

Now finding rust and wanting to work the truck, I'll get a move on it.

Thanks,

Posted (edited)

Sounds like you have a full plate ahead of you, between work and work on the truck.  terry:MackLogo:

Edited by terry

10 hours ago, JoeH said:

PAPUC required a safety audit where they came out, looked over my employee folder (worked for myself, dumb I know...), Looked over my truck maintenance log book (the big shop log, not the day trip log), drug consortium paperwork, Etc. Etc. Etc. They wanted my pre hire drug test results and everything. A hassle, but once you figure out what exactly they want it's not a big deal. 

Pretty much what I would have to do for our shop.   Thus I tried to avoid all that for a couple trips.

17 hours ago, 6368 said:

True. I forgot about that. Thanks for stateing