Rob

Binders on the Binder:

If any remember my 79 4200 IH with the Detroit Diesel engine it had been setting in one spot just about 34 years prior to me getting it going and bringing it back to the shop. I couldn't no way or how get the spring brakes to release and could not even back the slacks off with a 1/2" drive impact wrench they were frozen so tight. A sawzall through the slack arms readily released them with a bang actually pulling the linings from the metal shoe on one set. We then dragged the truck back with a large farm tractor.

Anyway today I got to use my "Tiger Tool" slack puller and man is it slick. No problems at all removing the old slacks but the pins are large so the bushings needed knocked out of the new slacks which was no problem, but getting the large nuts loose that hold the cans to the brackets was a bitch. I didn't resort to a torch but two wrenches with my weight hanging finally did it. They was tight. The cans needed to move down on the slotted mounts for the rod to clear it's housing and the pin to slide into the slack arm. Anyway got that resolved and the brakes work well. Been using the truck for months as my yard horse with no parking brakes at all so that is now resolved. They work well too.

Forgot to snap a photo of the puller but here are the new slacks installed and the old ones removed:

image.jpeg.1f25385762e7578fae4e3d1c140dd32e.jpeg

image.jpeg.ef45ab1ac5ae80c902e7ea2e439c8709.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a19d3b37ee0af4d6fd1a4269497ece44.jpeg

No need to mess with slacks when sawzall blades are cheap

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, j hancock said:

No need to mess with slacks when sawzall blades are cheap

I must be cheaper then cause I screwed with them over a 1/2 hour before resorting to the sawzall.....

Edited by Rob

That is not cheap.  You were just being curious.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, j hancock said:

That is not cheap.  You were just being curious.

1/2" impact wrench would not back them off. Couldn't use a torch as the truck was in weeds several years old and dry.....

"Momma" says I'm so tight I squeak when I walk.

Edited by Rob

They look like they were at a bad angle to push the lock mechanism in. 34 years of sitting doesn't help at all.