In my search for a right fender for my 27 AC 5 ton I have bought the truck pictured for the fender.    The frame no. on the truck indicates it is a 1929 3 1/2 ton.       I am currently working on delivery, the truck is 2500 miles away.  

Has anyone come across an AC with an auxiliary transmission?    Could it be an overdrive?     

This is well fitted to the truck but not factory.   The truck also has had a different engine installed that is long gone.

Thank you,

Jack

mack_ac_aux_trans.jpg

Mack AC  3.5 ton.jpg

Its nice to have a parts truck, but wouldn't it have been easier have a fender made? Are those the domed fenders for pneumatics from the factory or the ones outlined in angle iron for hard rubber tires? As far as the transmission, a lot were done to extend the usefulness of these trucks as they were obsolete before their service life was over.

I agree  that it would likely have been easier to have a fender made but the truck is being returned to its last used condition, not a shiny trailer queen.  The other fender is now repaired but shows its age well.  A new fender would stand out as new even with some aging.      The fenders are the domed style that were used from around 1926 onward.     My left fender is original to the truck & is domed & the truck has always had hard rubber tires.

There are many other parts on the parts truck that will make the 27 better as well as a rust free cab that hopefully someone else needs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '29 AC and could use a decent cab - not sure about the intricacies of getting a cab shipped to the UK but it would save me a ton of work.

Loads of pictures of mine here

http://s484.photobucket.com/user/RustyTrucks/library/Mack as advertised

there are lots of other albums there too with the AC

On the subject of aux boxes I know of two ex WW1 ACs with them in France - unrestored. They were a common modification in Europe apparently after the Great War.