Painting the tractor

I have some paint question for you all,I will be painting my b87 this summer(hopefully). Looking to have a real painter to do the cab,hood,fenders.The frame I will be doing.Would like to use ppl paint,single clear coat,what are you thinking?Would like to start getting the air tanks,battery boxes and any other small parts sanded and primed before hand.What do I have to do before I apply the color coat,resend?I will be supplying the paint to the shop that does the cab and all,so that the color comes from the same batch.

• Like 1

Hicrop10 , to paint the frame air tanks etc. I would recommend have sandblasted  then use epoxy primer over the bare steel then apply your paint of choice . Let the epoxy primer dry for an hour before applying the paint I would not recommend using a primer surfacer like you use on body panels because that has to be sanded before any topcoat can be applied and offers very little corrosion protection using the epoxy as a wet on wet sealer is the best way to go . I use Axalta products in my shop formally DuPont.  I use Montana epoxy then I use imron industrial paint over the epoxy. If you use PPG use shopline epoxy then use ALk industrial paint  I have done this many of times over the years it works great and holds up extremely well 

• Like 2

Have the paint store print you the tech sheets for the products your using. Wait until your ready to paint and buy everything according to your conditions.  Heat and humidity.  If you go beyond the recoat windows then you will have to scuff, tack, and degrease again.  

Yes, 3 days is the recoat window for PPG omni epoxy primer. 7 days is the window for PPG concept epoxy primer , so it is product dependent. I like to wait a couple hours after primer to apply color. What is the end game with the truck? If you are looking for a true show truck finish, use 3m platinum body filler on sandblasted frame, sand, apply epoxy primer, then ppg concept sealer and finally ppg concept single stage. If you are looking for just painted rails that aren't perfectly smooth and shiny you can go with a PPG or Axalta Imron industrial finish straight over the epoxy primer with no filler.

• 2 years later...
42 minutes ago, dorothyda said:

I advise you to try the Painting Services Singapore team. These people do their job really well. They painted my whole house, the fences and probably everything was in my yard to paint. I have no complaints about them, the products they used are all qualitative, they worked clean, fast and at a very good price. Before starting the project, the company came to see first what to decorate and even advised me what would be best to choose to fit perfectly in the decor. These people are real professionals.

I really should have used these people. My choice of curtains in the rear window of my B really clash with the chrome dog up front. Not to mention the color of the 5th wheel....let's not go there.

Google qualitative. You can decide where "dorothyda" is from.