41chevy

Crackerbox &Super Dump

Would like to hear that Detroit pull that load .

Wow, imagine how slow going that would be?   Bet the drivers right arm was BIG from rowing that shifter continuously all day!!!

• Like 1

That's gotta be a pain to dump. Gotta unhook 2nd trailer every load, then hook back up?....

That is a Michigan train. I am sure that is the I-94 and I-75 interchange under construction in Detroit. Roy Fruehauf (Fruehauf Trailer) was part of 5 R's. That photo hangs in the building across the freeway to the left (Sterling Truck Parts). By the way that truck is overloaded, even at 154,000 GVW max, but you do not need 600hp to move it over the road then or today. JoeH we deal with that every day here in Michigan.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TS7 said:

By the way that truck is overloaded, even at 154,000 GVW max, but you do not need 600hp to move it over the road then or today. JoeH we deal with that every day here in Michigan.   

Agreed.

1 hour ago, TS7 said:

That is a Michigan train. I am sure that is the I-94 and I-75 interchange under construction in Detroit. Roy Fruehauf (Fruehauf Trailer) was part of 5 R's. That photo hangs in the building across the freeway to the left (Sterling Truck Parts). By the way that truck is overloaded, even at 154,000 GVW max, but you do not need 600hp to move it over the road then or today. JoeH we deal with that every day here in Michigan.   

"T"-and do the oil companies still use Michigan trains?  I have Pictures of the ones from the 60's and the tanks looked like boxes-talk about high center of gravity.

Posted (edited)

I think the one in your other thread with the planetary axles is the 12V-71 Crackerbox.  This one is probably just a 238!

Edited by RoadwayR
  • Haha 1

Was that picture in an old roads and streets magazine?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Red Horse said:

"T"-and do the oil companies still use Michigan trains?  I have Pictures of the ones from the 60's and the tanks looked like boxes-talk about high center of gravity.

Was in Toledo just last weekend and saw a Michigan fuel tanker centipede.   Mentioned to my buddy about tire replacement costs!!  I'm thinking they were all super singles also.

Edited by Freightrain

3 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Was in Toledo just last weekend and saw a Michigan fuel tanker centipede.   Mentioned to my buddy about tire replacement costs!!  I'm thinking they were all super singles also.

Hah-talk about scuff-or do they turn??

5 hours ago, davehummell said:

Was that picture in an old roads and streets magazine?

It was in a book about building the inter state highway system from 1956 to 1974

8 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

I think the one in your other thread with the planetary axles is the 12V-71 Crackerbox.  This one is probably just a 238!

Both were 12V D.D.'s according to the write ups.

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

Hah-talk about scuff-or do they turn??

My guess they dump air to turn?  I think it was 11 axle?

You have lift axles on 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 axle straight trailers.  

That's a lot of inner tubes.......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TS7 said:

You have lift axles on 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 axle straight trailers.  

Guess it was an 8 axle.  Seemed like more.

9 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Mack Promo pic Chem tanker.

mack_f-series_1962_1.thumb.jpg.55b0439ec6396d618c37a79a1671f664.jpg

Wonder if you had to dump waste oil on the ground to get around a tight turn?

16 hours ago, 41chevy said:

It was in a book about building the inter state highway system from 1956 to 1974

Both were 12V D.D.'s according to the write ups.

What was the name of the book?

There is a picture of the Crackerbox with the planetary axles in the book 'GMC Heavy Duty Trucks 1927-1987'.  Says it was special order for 5 R's.  Can only imagine what that beast was like to drive......

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RoadwayR said:

What was the name of the book?

There is a picture of the Crackerbox with the planetary axles in the book 'GMC Heavy Duty Trucks 1927-1987'.  Says it was special order for 5 R's.  Can only imagine what that beast was like to drive......

It's going to be a bit to dig it out, it's still boxed from our move to Virginia. It was published  around 1990. We got it when we took my 41 Chevy to the 50th anniversary of the Pa. Tpke.

• Like 1

I would like to see 41 get free posting like I think KSC has, he finds and posts some great photo's of old trucks, I am sure he puts a lot time into this. Not to forget Mr. Hancock does too. Red Horse would you want to drive that Gulf tanker? I do not remember how and when they were out lawed, but it started in lower MI. The oil companies said we would run of gas with out those tanker's to fill gas stations. Most stations could not take a full load any way. They would need more trucks and of course the price of gas would go way up. They got by. I do not know the laws on tankers, but those are gone. They were not safe.  

• Like 1

when did mich start allowing lift axles