Crackerbox &Super Dump

41chevy

12 hours ago, Red Horse said:

TS7 ....Here you go  Early Astro judging by mirrors

image.png.a386ae2b2fbd97138125b32f290bb03a.png

Early Astro 95 for sure.  Coach mirrors, probably a Cummins judging by the single stack and air cleaner on the right.  Heavy front axle with 6 spoke wheels.  Nice tractor, but what a mess behind it.  Never saw anything like that in California!  

• Like 1

The 8 axle trains ( dump and fuel ) in the photo's do not need lift axles to steer or turn, but 4-8 axle straight trailers need lift axles to turn and steer.  There have been lift axles here for as long as I can remember. 

The pic in the original post and Swishy's pics all show the V8-powered crackerboxes.  You can make out the V8 Diesel logo on the access flap.

Edited by Chuck P

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

On 4/3/2019 at 9:34 PM, Swishy said:

Lota tyre to air up

Super-tanker_7.jpg

Super-sized

What then was said to be the largest tank semi-trailer ever built for highway service was operating in Michigan 45 years ago. The 17,000-gallon Super Tanker gasoline transporter featured 11 axles, with three capable of lifting for better maneuverability. The tanker, powered by an International tractor, boasted the maximum length (55 feet), height (13½ feet), weight (152,000 pounds) and axles (11) allowed at the time, and cost $75,000.

cya

Wow-best case with five axles on that tank on the ground, happy was the guy that sold the owner springs and hangers!

On 4/5/2019 at 3:56 AM, RoadwayR said:

Looks like one of those Transtar 4090's with the 12V-71.

I was thinking the same thing.  Extra bar in the grille and step under door means V12 power inside.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

On 4/3/2019 at 9:34 PM, Swishy said:

Lota tyre to air up

Super-tanker_7.jpg

Super-sized

What then was said to be the largest tank semi-trailer ever built for highway service was operating in Michigan 45 years ago. The 17,000-gallon Super Tanker gasoline transporter featured 11 axles, with three capable of lifting for better maneuverability. The tanker, powered by an International tractor, boasted the maximum length (55 feet), height (13½ feet), weight (152,000 pounds) and axles (11) allowed at the time, and cost $75,000.

cya

Wonder how many times the driver caught his foot on the rubber guard over the steer tire

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

FYI, here's how we do it in neighbouring Canada. This 5-axle super-B set is good for 138-140,000lbs gross (depending what province you're in). I've never driven one, but I've spoken with guys who say that the track quite well and are easier to drive than a 53' trailer (going forward that is!)  There are other configurations, but this is the most popular.

And yeah, there are a lot of 13L Macks and Volvos pulling them. 

1.jpg

22789060_1878481185502264_6840413315624675389_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.fna&oh=f235caa522df9749276cf511393b27e7&oe=5D3EFBB5

Edited by Oso2
  • Like 2