Old truck graveyard tour....

Freightrain

So it's been a few years, a buddy of mine had told me of a guy that his father ran old B models and were parked on some property around the area.  That was all I heard, til about a week ago.  Buddy sent me a text telling me he gave my number to the fellow to contact about the trucks.  I got a call and we talked.  He sent me a few pictures.  Sad state of affairs.  I asked if I could go look even though I figured there was not much worth anything.  We met yesterday after work and he took me to the property.  It was not far from work.  After going down a dirt path, around some curves we came to a driveway that was blocked off with a mound of dirt.  We parked and got out.  He then reached in the back of his car and got a machete and a shotgun.  I was not feeling comfortable at this point, but we continued on.  We had talked on the way to the property and he was actually a friend of a good friend of mine.  The property is about 5 acres.  He father had basically just left it back in the late 80's and moved south.  He just passed away and his mother wants the property sold.   This fellow is thinking of buying the property but it will be quite the clean up.  Fully covered in brier bushes and over growth.  The house and garages are just rotten shells, though this was where he had grown up as a child.  That area is kind of getting "depressed" and thus the shotgun.

The trucks, mostly B models, though one 60's SD Ford dump and what at one time was a White 3000(literally nothing left, trees had actually grown through the cab and ripped it to pieces).  We weaseled our way through the prickers and brush and poked around.  I told him there was nothing much worth anything and what it would cost to even get near it to remove it was going to be more money then the scrap value of the trucks.  It was like a time capsule though.  Like someone literally just quit working on stuff one day and there it was 30 yrs later.  I didn't take any close up shots while I was there,  these couple pictures were what he send me on the initial conversation.

5250.jpg

5251.jpg

5253.jpg

5254.jpg

It was sad to see all this stuff just rot back to the ground.  I think it would be fun to get them pulled out "IF" I knew someone with a big enough dozer to even get access to them.  The paved driveway is completely covered over, though you can see patches through the dirt.  Though there is not a piece of sheetmetal that isn't junk and nothing but open motors that are surely stuck and worthless.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Believe me if there was some way to get them out, I would try.  He wants to buy the property, but it would be a HUGE undertaking to just clean a path to even start doing anything there.  Let alone, I bet there is 100+ old truck tires laying in a huge pile.  To dispose of them?  Ugh, don't even want to even think.  It truly is a tragedy.

Larry

14 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Believe me if there was some way to get them out, I would try.  He wants to buy the property, but it would be a HUGE undertaking to just clean a path to even start doing anything there.  Let alone, I bet there is 100+ old truck tires laying in a huge pile.  To dispose of them?  Ugh, don't even want to even think.  It truly is a tragedy.

Old truck tires? No problems with disposal here. Out of the kindness of my heart and respect for my neighbors I await a northwest breeze and light them up a dozen at a time. Goes pretty quick that way.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I seem to remember a Caterpiller dealer not too far from your place on Rt. 30 and I'd wager a days rental on a D5 tractor would get them out on short order. Someone running over with a drop deck to haul trucks back could rent a tractor and detach for a weekend and make the task quite easy. A local farmer with a worn out old dozer or backhoe would work too. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

12 hours ago, Freightrain said:

So it's been a few years, a buddy of mine had told me of a guy that his father ran old B models and were parked on some property around the area.  That was all I heard, til about a week ago.  Buddy sent me a text telling me he gave my number to the fellow to contact about the trucks.  I got a call and we talked.  He sent me a few pictures.  Sad state of affairs.  I asked if I could go look even though I figured there was not much worth anything.  We met yesterday after work and he took me to the property.  It was not far from work.  After going down a dirt path, around some curves we came to a driveway that was blocked off with a mound of dirt.  We parked and got out.  He then reached in the back of his car and got a machete and a shotgun.  I was not feeling comfortable at this point, but we continued on.  We had talked on the way to the property and he was actually a friend of a good friend of mine.  The property is about 5 acres.  He father had basically just left it back in the late 80's and moved south.  He just passed away and his mother wants the property sold.   This fellow is thinking of buying the property but it will be quite the clean up.  Fully covered in brier bushes and over growth.  The house and garages are just rotten shells, though this was where he had grown up as a child.  That area is kind of getting "depressed" and thus the shotgun.

The trucks, mostly B models, though one 60's SD Ford dump and what at one time was a White 3000(literally nothing left, trees had actually grown through the cab and ripped it to pieces).  We weaseled our way through the prickers and brush and poked around.  I told him there was nothing much worth anything and what it would cost to even get near it to remove it was going to be more money then the scrap value of the trucks.  It was like a time capsule though.  Like someone literally just quit working on stuff one day and there it was 30 yrs later.  I didn't take any close up shots while I was there,  these couple pictures were what he send me on the initial conversation.

It was sad to see all this stuff just rot back to the ground.  I think it would be fun to get them pulled out "IF" I knew someone with a big enough dozer to even get access to them.  The paved driveway is completely covered over, though you can see patches through the dirt.  Though there is not a piece of sheetmetal that isn't junk and nothing but open motors that are surely stuck and worthless.

Did you notice if any of the B's had the aluminum tanks? It would be worth my while to get a few of hem.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ya, burning tires in the city would likely get a stop from the fire marshal.   The location is kinda on top of the hill and any smoke would be VERY noticeable.

There is a new Cat dealer up by me that opened a few years ago.  There again, the cost associated with doing all this is going to be paid by whom?  I'd love to see it happen, I'd volunteer some manpower.

The other big issues is where they are and how to get them out to the main road as you can't get a trailer back to them(the main drive).  The corners are too tight and no real place to turn around.  These were all dump trucks(though most have the beds off).

Paul, I don't recall any round tanks on these trucks.  We couldn't get to a couple of them due to overgrowth, but the rest were square tanks as I was crawling into some trucks to look and see what was left(usually no floors).

He's not sure if he wants the property since it is such an undertaking.  I'm not sure of his finances and even if he bought it, if/when he would get it cleared enough to get in?

Larry

No problem with smoke as I let folks know I'll be burning including the sherriff's office and local fire department. Simple phone call. My shop is out of town so really not a problem. Breaking into an overgrown or isolated property like that is not difficult with a medium sized dozer; hence the suggestion. Cost? Whom wants the trucks as they'll surely go to an indiscriminate scrapper if someone doesn't get them removed. Highly doubt a landowner with a bunch of "junk" on the property is going to care much about finish landscaping to get the effluent removed.

If the current property owner is interested in cleaning the place up prior to sale it should be marketed as such. They'll be looking for the lowest cost to rid the property of anything with a negative drive to a prospective purchaser and would most likely donate the "junk" to anyone whom would get it out of there. I'd wager they wouldn't much care how it was extracted. I've been all over the midwest extracting other's junk which could be repurposed or dispensed to someone whom would either appreciate it, or use something and several on this website know that first hand. All to keep it from going across the scales. If I though there was much on that property reusable, I may even entertain the option again. Lot of work can be done with a chainsaw, snatch blocks, and a couple hundred foot of cable if a guy is willing.  

Agreed, if you call to let the city know you are burning(not tires), then you will be better off.  Heck my township wants to know if you having a cook out.

Here's what I know:  

Owned by the elderly mother who wants it sold(to remove the tax burden).  Son might buy it.  He was asking my opinion on if the trucks were worth anything(beside scrap--they're not).  He needs to decide if he wants the property.  "IF" he buys, he will then decide what he will do about any of it. "IF" the mother sells it off as-is, then whomever buys it will have to deal with it.  My guess is the mother has no interest on what is on the property.  Also likely won't pay to have it cleaned up.

"IF" someone wants the stuff, I'm pretty sure the son will let the person on the grounds and do whatever needs done(I'm speculating).  

Like I mentioned, I'd be happy to lend chainsaw/manpower to the cause.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

This is not that big of a job for the right equipment

Growing up on the east coast we would tackle this regularly

Unfortunately it sounds like the mom is looking for cash. The reality is any buyer will factor in the junk and potential environmental issues so the property could end up being worthless. If she just wants out from under the tax liability she could just give it to the son.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:04 AM, Freightrain said:

Paul, I don't recall any round tanks on these trucks.  We couldn't get to a couple of them due to overgrowth, but the rest were square tanks as I was crawling into some trucks to look and see what was left(usually no floors).

He's not sure if he wants the property since it is such an undertaking.  I'm not sure of his finances and even if he bought it, if/when he would get it cleared enough to get in?

My Mixer has a aluminum square 55 gal on the passenger side and a steel square on the drivers.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE