Popping when turning

USMC205

I have an 01 RD688 Dump and it mostly does it when I'm loaded but when I turn sharp I can hear a popping sound coming from possibly the front drive axle.  I'm not sure if its a bearing or possibly some splines slipping.  I figure if it was something with an axle or rear end it would do it all the time and not only when loaded.  I've heard bearings can do that when they are under a load and going bad.  Its not a low thud pop but somewhat of a high pitch pop (yes I know this sounds crazy).  It will do it a 3 to 4 times in a turn then stop when I straighten out.  Suspension bushings were replaced mid last year. King pins and tie rod ends replaced a couple months ago.  Ive crawled around and pulled and yanked on everything, all drive shafts, U-joints and torsion bars seem good and tight.  Has anyone had this and what was it?  Thanks.

Both directions or only one?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Im guessing a Mack back end

If so, all drive tyres need to be fairly close to the same size as the power divider on a Mack bogie isnt really a power divider

However I would check and make sure the power divider isnt locked first 

Paul 

We rarely have drive tires all the same size, never have. Never had problems with our Auto or manual power dividers.

Is it Camelback or air ride? If Camelback, did you replace the trunion bar bushings or the elephant pads? 

Spoke hubs or bud wheels?

Is this a recent problem or has it been doing it for a while? 

3 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Im guessing a Mack back end

If so, all drive tyres need to be fairly close to the same size as the power divider on a Mack bogie isnt really a power divider

However I would check and make sure the power divider isnt locked first 

Paul 

All tires are the same, how can I manually check to make sure it’s not locked in?

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

We rarely have drive tires all the same size, never have. Never had problems with our Auto or manual power dividers.

Is it Camelback or air ride? If Camelback, did you replace the trunion bar bushings or the elephant pads? 

Spoke hubs or bud wheels?

Is this a recent problem or has it been doing it for a while? 

Camelback, the elephant pads were replaced, bud wheels.

45 minutes ago, USMC205 said:

another place to look ! If your wheels are steel  one of your wheels may be cracked!

If its the inter wheel diff it acts some what like  as a posi-trac However ever a little more noticeable on dri ground !You can lock the inter axle out (MOST ) of the time, there is a switch on the dash to lock the inter axle out how ever not always some trucks were built with no lock out feature look for it on the dash!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fjh said:

another place to look ! If your wheels are steel  one of your wheels may be cracked!

If its the inter wheel diff it acts some what like  as a posi-trac However ever a little more noticeable on dri ground !You can lock the inter axle out (MOST ) of the time, there is a switch on the dash to lock the inter axle out how ever not always some trucks were built with no lock out feature look for it on the dash!

Funny I was thinking it could be a wheel issue before I read your post

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

4 hours ago, USMC205 said:

All tires are the same, how can I manually check to make sure it’s not locked in?

Jack up one wheel and with the brakes off and the truck in neutral you should be able to roll one wheel some

Paul 

Of course make sure the truck is chocked so it doesn't move when the brakes arent applied

Edited by mrsmackpaul
Safety

4 hours ago, USMC205 said:

There was a fella on here some time ago that had the same issue and it turned out his elephant ears were some neoprene that didnt have enough flex in them and didn't allow the axles to track properly 

He replaced them with the correct rubber and the problem was gone 

Maybe worth looking into 

Paul 

26 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

There was a fella on here some time ago that had the same issue and it turned out his elephant ears were some neoprene that didnt have enough flex in them and didn't allow the axles to track properly 

He replaced them with the correct rubber and the problem was gone 

Maybe worth looking into 

Paul 

It’s been close to a year since they were replaced and I did use neoprene but they have been fine.  It’s been going on for a couple weeks.  Im gonna get a buddy to drive it in a circle while I walk beside it. I’ll also check everything everyone has suggested.  

• 1 month later...