That's a good 40 loads right there, looks like heavy loads for a tandem!

Looking good..

What size is that body looks like 12' by 3' high,your a good 2' over the boards so 15 yards would be my  guess..

630 tons! Good thing you have a Mack.

Sweet..

Nice!! It's always great to be able to put our "toys" to work. The gas was probably cheaper than renting something and it makes justifying having them easier on our significant others. I've moved lots of things with my truck for my wife's family, I think she would actually be pissed if I mentioned selling it.

1 minute ago, mattb73lt said:

Nice!! It's always great to be able to put our "toys" to work. The gas was probably cheaper than renting something and it makes justifying having them easier on our significant others. I've moved lots of things with my truck for my wife's family, I think she would actually be pissed if I mentioned selling it.

This one is safe as we both really like it. One of these days I'll get to working on it as far as restoration, but it comes in too handy too often to take it out of service.

• Like 1

Don't do anything to it except clean the aluminum wheels and straighten the bumper. Looks perfect in working clothes 

• Like 1

Love that hoist setup.... Weirdest style I've ever seen!

I thought you said it was a not so funny story!

A truck is a truck. It's the driver that makes the difference. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but those look like 55k rear springs.

I can't answer to the spring rating. They are heavy. The truck is full length double frame with an exterior fish plate from under the cab back. It is just shy of 19K empty. I think the rears are Eaton and they use a pull cable or linkage for the power divider. I don't have that connected but it does work as I "coat hangered" it engaged one time and chained the truck via it's pintle hook to a large oak tree to see if it would dig with both drives and it did. Truck has a five and three, (Brownie) with a 2.14:1 reduction and I think the rears are in the high 5.XX ratio. It will run right at 55mph wide open on the highway at about 2800rpm.

From the angle I thought it was a camelback. When the trunion tower brackets grab the outside of the frame it's an SX 55k setup, which has massive brakes and springs compared to the 44k. 

That's not a bad empty weight. In PA you can register 58k gvw on a tandem. You'd still have room for 39k, nearly 20 tons! Triaxles here run 22 ton payloads. Impressive. You save a lot of weight on that gas engine and the trans too I suspect. 

not sure on the proper terminology for that dump assembly, but we used to call them a "rocker body"

The gas engine is only 377 cubic inches and it's a five speed Mack TR-67 series. The Brownie is a 6231D and all are relatively small in comparison to nowadays. Rears are out of an IH truck as the hangers are stamped with the small i centered in the capital H. It was built as a single drive axle truck, sold at the Los Angeles branch new, sent up to the Portland, OR branch for installation of the Brownie and a gear swap along with the fishplate install. Still remained a single axle at this time. I don't have any records when it was changed to tandem but he truck is an A-40H indicating air brakes which it has. It was converted to tandem shortly after the Portland, OR work as the next set of records I have show a gear change, (two sets) in 1957 along with an engine rebuild. These were done at the Mack dealer in Los Angeles. Original owner passed in 1967 and truck sat for a lot of years until widow passed in 1998, and I got hold of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

When the trunion tower brackets grab the outside of the frame it's an SX 55k setup, which has massive brakes and springs compared to the 44k.

The more modern heavy Macks are like you say.  The vintage Macks such as A models and B models had external trunnion mounts and could be relatively lightweight rigs.  For example, a B-30S tandem had an external trunnion and was rated at 28,000 lbs.

• Like 1

My 1964 B-61S has 44K rears and is external mounted as is my parts B-62. I believe those are 44K also.

• Like 1