Macktruckman

Eaton behind maxidyne

Question

I have a 1978 R685ST with a 285 maxidyne and the 2 stick 6 speed with 4.17 rears and tall 24.5’s. Truck is getting a new cab this week and paint job. Old cab is rusted out badly. I have an Eaton RTO14909MLL from a wrecked mixer truck with E7, I think has mounts that will work. Now would be the time to swap transmissions if I want. I was thinking it would help lower my rpm at highway speed and give me a little more top end and maybe help me out on hills. I live in an area with lots of hills. Pull a lowboy to move my equipment and pull an end dump. I like the 2 stick but the gap from 4 to 5 is pretty big with all the hills and I can only get about 60 mph or so on flat ground to the floor tached out. Transmissions look to be within 1”-2” of each other in length. U joints different. Would it be worthwhile to swap? Since the cab is off anyway 

thank you 

That's cleaning up nicely!

Thank you, its taken far longer than I anticipated but I’ve done a whole lot more to it than I planned. I got 4 aluminum wheels for the rear but I’m having no luck finding wide aluminum front budd stud pilot. I want a pair to match the rear but new ones I’m finding are $550 each. I’d sure like to buy some used ones

I like the black rims on the steer. Look like cop wheels! That's one sharp looking truck, you're gonna get some eyeballers when that hits the road!

On my 1985 the stack is connected to the cab and the truck is a factory air ride cab according to the build sheet

I clamped mine to the headache rack. Hard to see in the picture though.l sold the truck or I would take a better picture.

image.jpeg

I got one side on today before I had to go do other things. Should get the other side tomorrow. I’m just fabbing some brackets that I bolted through the headache rack and then used peterbilt clamps and isolators to fasten to the brackets. 

Thats an awfully nice truck there. 

I’ve never had a headache rack on it. When I first sat the rack on this morning I almost abandoned that plan, I didn’t like the way it looked at all. Just all big and out of proportion. But it’s been sitting in the weeds and needs some cleaning and elbow grease and it will probably help. The biggest help was when the stack went on then it all started to look a little better. Not so huge looking then

I thought the same thing when I put that one on. It was taking up room in the garage so I put it on and once I got the stacks on it wasn't to bad. I've only seen the truck once since I sold it and he put aluminum wheels on the rear. I hear he stretched it out now. I know he wanted to put a big bunk on it.

Sure looked like a pretty truck

theres very few old Mack’s around here anymore and none are slick. Mine definitely won’t be perfect. Far from it. But it’s leaps and bounds better than it was. There are some ch’s around, but they just aren’t the same 

9 hours ago, Macktruckman said:

Sure looked like a pretty truck

theres very few old Mack’s around here anymore and none are slick. Mine definitely won’t be perfect. Far from it. But it’s leaps and bounds better than it was. There are some ch’s around, but they just aren’t the same 

Thanks yours is looking pretty good to. I know what you mean about the Ch. I had one for 9 years and it was a very good truck but after i bought my orange r model I sold the ch.

Posted (edited)

No that black one was the last r model I had. I also had a Superliner that I just sold last fall. I lost my dad 2 years ago and I lost interest in having my own trucks so went back to company I used to drive for.

image.jpeg

Edited by keg1
Add picture

That’s what I’m talking about. Lol

i love those things. I’d really like to have a superliner with an E9. I said I’d never part with my old R but I might let it go for a V8 superliner. Lol. 

I lost my dad 3 years ago. He was 66. I was gonna quit running equipment and We were gonna buy and fix up old trucks and tractors and resell them when he retired. He got Parkinson’s though and he was in really bad shape by the time he was 50’s. So I sorta get where you’re coming from. Sorry to hear about your dad 

Sorry about your dad to. He was 80 but I think he got around better than I do. Got cancer and was gone in 6 months. We were always working on something together. I guess you never know. I liked the Superliner but I liked my r models better.

I’ll be. I wouldn’t have guessed that. I have never actually driven or even been in a superliner though 

I’m planning to work on the truck tomorrow. I’m gonna try to fab up something different for the stacks if I can. I just do not like the headache rack. It’s just too tall and way wider than the cab. If I can figure something out I’m taking the rack off. 

Haven’t driven it yet to see how If like the transmission but it’s running again. Got 8 new drives to mount and new king pins to put in before it leaves the shop. Getting close 

I posted this elsewhere but I need a tachometer drive adapter. It apparently broke while it sat in the shop doing nothing. My Mack dealer nearest me has been no help so far. 

7C0276E7-4E43-4BDD-9D56-792BCD8D61D8.jpeg

Lot of drooling going on over your pictures. You're doing a great job with that truck, it's going to look good out in the sun. Dual stacks are very nicely assembled and mounted.  Can't wait to hear how it pulls with that transmission!

Thank you 

it seems like it is taking forever 

lol