Eaton behind maxidyne

Macktruckman

Question

I have a 1978 R685ST with a 285 maxidyne and the 2 stick 6 speed with 4.17 rears and tall 24.5’s. Truck is getting a new cab this week and paint job. Old cab is rusted out badly. I have an Eaton RTO14909MLL from a wrecked mixer truck with E7, I think has mounts that will work. Now would be the time to swap transmissions if I want. I was thinking it would help lower my rpm at highway speed and give me a little more top end and maybe help me out on hills. I live in an area with lots of hills. Pull a lowboy to move my equipment and pull an end dump. I like the 2 stick but the gap from 4 to 5 is pretty big with all the hills and I can only get about 60 mph or so on flat ground to the floor tached out. Transmissions look to be within 1”-2” of each other in length. U joints different. Would it be worthwhile to swap? Since the cab is off anyway 

thank you 

9 hours ago, Macktruckman said:

Sure looked like a pretty truck

theres very few old Mack’s around here anymore and none are slick. Mine definitely won’t be perfect. Far from it. But it’s leaps and bounds better than it was. There are some ch’s around, but they just aren’t the same 

Thanks yours is looking pretty good to. I know what you mean about the Ch. I had one for 9 years and it was a very good truck but after i bought my orange r model I sold the ch.

No that black one was the last r model I had. I also had a Superliner that I just sold last fall. I lost my dad 2 years ago and I lost interest in having my own trucks so went back to company I used to drive for.

image.jpeg

Edited by keg1
Add picture

That’s what I’m talking about. Lol

i love those things. I’d really like to have a superliner with an E9. I said I’d never part with my old R but I might let it go for a V8 superliner. Lol. 

I lost my dad 3 years ago. He was 66. I was gonna quit running equipment and We were gonna buy and fix up old trucks and tractors and resell them when he retired. He got Parkinson’s though and he was in really bad shape by the time he was 50’s. So I sorta get where you’re coming from. Sorry to hear about your dad 

Sorry about your dad to. He was 80 but I think he got around better than I do. Got cancer and was gone in 6 months. We were always working on something together. I guess you never know. I liked the Superliner but I liked my r models better.

I’m planning to work on the truck tomorrow. I’m gonna try to fab up something different for the stacks if I can. I just do not like the headache rack. It’s just too tall and way wider than the cab. If I can figure something out I’m taking the rack off. 

Lot of drooling going on over your pictures. You're doing a great job with that truck, it's going to look good out in the sun. Dual stacks are very nicely assembled and mounted.  Can't wait to hear how it pulls with that transmission!

Thank you. I hope so. I’m anxious. Lol. I got the new kingpin kits put in it today. Naturally when I pulled the front drums the shoes were pretty much done so I’m off to hunt down new shoes first thing In the morning. May as well get 2 new tie rod ends too. I got a new set of drive tires to put on and I came up with 4 Alcoa’s from a buddy for the outside rears. Need a little polish work but I think I can get them to look well enough. Oh and after putting all that insulation in the cab I’m gonna pick me up a new stereo while I’m in town getting brake shoes...😁