1993 RD688 windshield wipers

This started about a month ago, my wipers got to where they would run for a bit then shut off for a few beats and then kick back on. Then they quit completely. Being impatient as I am I went for the quick fix and swapped the wiper motor for a new one. Same thing, nothing. They would work on high every now and then but that was it. So I replaced the switch, still the same thing. Only work on high when they want to. So I got to digging through the wires and found one red wire that went the opposite direction from all the other wires, and followed it to a relay mounted behind the fuse box. That HAD to be the problem... replaced the relay, checked all the other wires, and you guessed it.. still nothing. They work on high only. Am I missing something? The wiring seems very simple, the switch and motor are both Mack parts, but I’m at my wits end with these wipers! Anybody have any ideas? 

Check the ground or better yet run a new ground for the wiper motor.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 3/2/2019 at 8:59 AM, JoeH said:

My 95 RD688 you have to hold the switch just right to get it to work. We have never replaced the switch, but maybe it's a crappo switch design?

If you need to hold the switch "just right" to make the wipers work, that points to a worn switch. The contacts to loss their tension with age.  24 years is a good life span IMO.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Mine was that way for awhile, that’s why I went ahead with the new switch. I’ve checked grounds, ran new grounds, checked all other wires and still nothing. I’m thinking about just wiring in a 3 way toggle switch and only having high and low. Anything would be better than what I’ve got at this point 

51 minutes ago, MOloghauler said:

Mine was that way for awhile, that’s why I went ahead with the new switch. I’ve checked grounds, ran new grounds, checked all other wires and still nothing. I’m thinking about just wiring in a 3 way toggle switch and only having high and low. Anything would be better than what I’ve got at this point 

The wiper motor should have a ground wire in the harness but some also ground through the wiper mounting bolts check that first.

Also use your multimeter to bridge between the low speed terminals on the switch and the wiper motor; with the switch moved to “Low” you should get at least a 10-volt reading. Repeat the exercise with the intermediate speed. If both circuits are not reading close  the problem is in the harness  most likely.

P.T.CHESHIRE