Type-45 VIN location?

Pacifica Pete

The VIN tag for the E model is usually on the seat bolster.  So if you open the pass. door, the VIN tag is right in front of you.  Here is a picture of an E tag and the holes are 2.25 apart on the short side and 5.75 inches on the long side.  I have seen a couple fire rigs where the VIN tag has been mounted on the inside firewall just above where the passengers feet would be. 

With the style of your truck it may have been mounted on the front of the seat bolster.  Maybe you can find some empty holes matching the measurements?

The VIN is stamped on the left rear frame rail.  The stamping will be on the vertical surface of the frame just a little further rearwards from the left rear spring box.

Mack EFU Tag.JPG

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 11:31 AM, j hancock said:

The VIN tag for the E model is usually on the seat bolster.  So if you open the pass. door, the VIN tag is right in front of you.  Here is a picture of an E tag and the holes are 2.25 apart on the short side and 5.75 inches on the long side.  I have seen a couple fire rigs where the VIN tag has been mounted on the inside firewall just above where the passengers feet would be. 

With the style of your truck it may have been mounted on the front of the seat bolster.  Maybe you can find some empty holes matching the measurements?

The VIN is stamped on the left rear frame rail.  The stamping will be on the vertical surface of the frame just a little further rearwards from the left rear spring box.

Mack EFU Tag.JPG

Thanks for the info J Hancock! I see a set of holes on the front of the seat bolster (passenger side) which are very close to the dimensions you gave above. I can't see any stamped marks on the frame rail though. I did find a registration slip from 1962 in a stack of old paperwork I received which has an ID number listed although it does not match the letter/number format in the example tag above. I also just learned this morning of an alleged "box of chrome parts" located at our other fire station which I'm hoping may contain the missing tags... we shall see. 

• 1 month later...

So far no luck on my search to find the VIN plate. I guess when it was removed for paint years ago it was "lost" forever. I have the number written down on old paperwork, so I may seek to recreate it at some point. My father and I had to do this a couple years ago as part of a '36 dodge restoration project. It was accomplished by acid etching on a zinc plate after masking it off with a transfer of laser-printer toner. with that eventual project in mind, I have a couple of questions:

Would the plate on our Type-45 definitely look the same as the E-model tag pictured above? would the model stamp read "type-45" or something else?

On the front of the seat bolster, passenger side I see the hole pattern approximately matching the dimensions given by J Hancock but there is a second set of holes next to it that I'm wondering if may have been the mounting point for an additional plate of some kind, perhaps fire engine specific? any info or pics of plates on type-45's greatly appreciated. 

I was able to scan an old set of negatives which show some of the trucks details before it went off to the prison paint shop ~20 years ago. unfortunately the quality is not good enough to see the details, but the tag loos somewhat different that the examples posted here unfortunately. and there is a smaller second tag of some kind next to the main one. oh well, I don't think ill be subjected to a highway patrol inspection during the annual parade ha ha.

roll1-021.JPG

OK.  There is a slightly larger VIN tag that I had forgotten about.  The one I have unfortunately has been painted over in a handsome shade of dark green.

Top left box is the model  EEU and the box on the right is  the chassis number  EEU1S 1641.

The HP box and the weight boxes are not stamped.  The vertical holes are 2 5/8" on center and the horizontal mounting holes are 5 5/8" on center.  The overall tag is 3 X 6 inches.  Probably should break out the paint stripper...

Mack EEU VIN Tag.jpg

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

yeah that looks more like the one in my pic, and the hole pattern matches. Now I know what i don't have :) kind of disappointing actually because I think the other ones look nicer. At least I'm not the only one with a bunch of stuff that's been painted over!

On 4/27/2019 at 8:15 PM, FDNYTRUCKScom said:

the serial number of Pacifica's rig is 45S-1521

Yes! That matches the 1962 California registration slip I have in the pile of papers I inherited. Thank you for the confirmation brother.