Make Money with Gold

11 hours ago, seyser said:

Here is my 79. Color is a dull red. Seems like mid to late 70s was when the red color was used on the engines.

50FD3598-BDE7-4689-BE8A-08529B6EDECD.jpeg

8883EEDD-5F89-4470-BC00-B457CD9DABC5.jpeg

That's an ESI+ not an ESI. 2 oil filters for ESI, 3 for ESI+. Different capacity oil pans. ESI + pan is 56 quarts of oil, 25,000 miles between oil changes.

• Like 2

I'm only 29 so I wouldn't know. I'd guess the ESI + would be more popular on a highway tractor where you're logging a lot of miles, whereas local dump trucks and concrete mixers would have the ESI where your oil pan will sit higher from any off-roading threats. That'd be the biggest decision factor if it were me.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 10:12 PM, Superdog said:

300+ engines were originally copper,that reddish orange color was what they went with for all engines after they had to quit using gold paint on the Maxidynes,then came light blue,then gray

I did not hear the story why Mack quit using GOLD on the Maxidyne engine or was it at the end of the actual Maxidyne engine run? The old v8's, silver was Thermodyne and Gold was Maxidyne. Before that the color was a green drab that was on most mack engines up to 1965 or so. I do remember the blue, red, gray and black engines and a few copper.

Edited by AZB755V8

I read someplace that our favorite government agency, (EPA) had a hand in it. VOC, and lead contents are most likely the leading culprit. My 72 R-685, (ENDT-675) had a red engine as built. Don't know why or if was special ordered that way but most I'd seen were gold at that time.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

43 minutes ago, Swishy said:

me thort the mack gold engines represented Maxidyne hi torque engines

not sure of the gold bull dog me thinx the jury is stihl out on th@ one

as gold bulldog could B Maxidyne or all mack run n gear

WotSezU?

cya

I  heard both stories on what the Gold bulldog meant. I had gold V8 emblems on one truck and it was a 1972 Maxidyne. Wonder if that is what it meant as well.  

The Gold color on the Maxidyne engines is what I remember but as Rob is saying they quit using Gold and went to other colors apparently because of an EPA issue.

5 hours ago, Swishy said:

me thort the mack gold engines represented Maxidyne hi torque engines

not sure of the gold bull dog me thinx the jury is stihl out on th@ one

as gold bulldog could B Maxidyne or all mack run n gear

WotSezU?

cya

Swish I have always been told, gold dog is Maxidyne not all Mack running gear as people sometimes say

Paul 

• Like 1

Here is the response to the gold dog question courtesy of Randy (1958 FWD), Harvey Eckert and Don Schumaker.

Basically different years had different criteria. 

As promised, I emailed Harvey Eckert, who corresponded with Don Schumacker (who many of us know to be the Curator of the Mack Museum and the Archivist) some time ago, and kept the response, which Harvey was kind enough to send back to me:

Don writes: "The Mack Bulldog ornament was patented in October 1932. It was released as Part Number 4BF26. In December 1937, it was redrawn and the part number changed to 27RU217. This was a chrome-plated zinc die casting. It did not change until December 1941 when the finish was changed to a painted #775R Mack Gray finish. In September 1944, the finish reverted back to chrome-plating.

In September 1947, the part number was raised to 217RU217A; the attaching studs were changed to cast-in female thread brass fasteners. The P1 version was chrome-plated. In June 1967, the 14 karat gold-plated P2 was released. In June 1968, the gold plating was replaced with 14 karat gold alloy.

In December 1979, the ornament was redesigned to incorporate shorter ears and tail to make it more friendly when using it as the handle to tip the conventional models’ hoods. The part number was raised to 217RU217B and the patent number was changed from 87931 to 1,387,477. The P1 part was again chrome plated while the P2 finish was “gold flash.”

Starting in 1966/1967, the original “gold” ornaments signified that a vehicle featured the Mack Maxidyne engine and Maxitorque transmission. All other Mack trucks used the chrome plated ornaments. Starting with the introduction of the CL Model in 1990, CH and CL vehicles with the high-level interior trim package utilized the gold ornaments.

Starting in 2007, the gold ornament indicated that a vehicle had an all-Mack powertrain, i.e., Mack engine, Mack transmission, and Mack axles. This is its current usage.

Let me know if we can be of further help.

Thanks, Don Schumaker

Further thoughts by Superdog Mike.

"Damn I hate to argue with the info Don sent you,but the all Mack component gold Bulldog started way before 2007,I'm certain it was as early as ''95 or 96 but I do know for fact it was that way in '97 as I had a new gold dog '97 CH613,delivered Dec.,1996,E7-427,T2130,and 4:17 Mack rears.

Also I didn't think the patent # changed until sometime much later than '79,Newest truck I have to check is my '88 and it still has good old 87931 proudly printed on its chest."

J Hancock looked up the patent info on the new dog change.

"A search on the patent number indicates that Mack had a filing date of 9/6/1985. The US Patent Office issued the registration #1,387,477 on 3/25/1986.

Couldn't find any info on the date when the new number started going on the trucks."

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I've never seen a gold dog on anything that didn't have a complete Mack "Maxidyne" driveline myself. Used to work on a lot 1968-1983 R models and anything that had a gold dog was a Mack powertrain complete. My 1973 RL-797LST, (water wagon) is a Mack powertrain front to back and has a chrome dog but is not a "Maxidyne" series engine. The 1974 RL-797LST has a Mack engine, Mack transmission, but Rockwell SQHD rears on Reyco spring suspension. It has a chrome dog also. The 1977 R-795S has a Mack engine, Mack transmission and is on Mack rears. It originally had a gold dog on the hood but is currently chrome. The gold was replaced when it was swiped, (I'm told). I know both of the RL chrome dogs are original to the truck as have researched and spoken with the original owners/purchasers of these vehicles.

All that being said I cannot input on anything newer than about 1984 as I've not really been around them except collision repair and modifications giving very little attention to originality.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

OEM  Maxidyne Gold Paint   312SX63P3 gal.
                                                   312SX63P2 spray can

I know some folks have used Dupli-Color   DE-1604  Universal Gold spray can that is readily available at parts store.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I had the OEM Mack color(s) converted to PPG several years ago but it's at the shop. I'll look next time I'm out there.

Engine  paint  codes as of 1990.  Maxidyne  Gold  348 ; Andes  Copper  540; Power  Engine  Gray  08408 ; Light  Blue  344.   

• Thanks 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

On 3/1/2019 at 4:23 PM, hicrop10 said:

What about the paint code for the red?

I did find my book of conversion numbers at the shop but didn't look through it for the Sikkens, or PPG conversion number. Either one of the numbers can be converted to another paint vendor's color.

• 2 years later...

I recently also decided to repaint my tractor. Still, when I started the process, I identified several malfunctions in the car itself, and after a couple of days of work, it stalled altogether.
It is not surprising because he was already many years old. But at the same time, he was a crucial figure in the cultivation of the land on my site, and I have not yet saved up money for a new one.