Bypass oil filtration

R.E.D

So I go to change the oil for the first time on my new to me granite dump.i notice that it has one of those Ops eco pure oil bypass filters.im guessing previous owner installed it to keep oil cleaner since these Ami engines are so dirty.Has anyone here had any experiences with these systems?what kinda oil change interval can I expect?I looked at the prices for Ops filters and they are like 40$ a pop.i wonder if any other brand would work or if the ops system only uses ops filters.please advice .thanks in advance .

Red

IMO- get rid of it. All of the guys I know running those kind of set ups have been skin flints (not driven for a “green”, waste oil free, Earth) trying to stretch their  oil changes past a natural interval. In fact, if I had the choice of two, id buy the one without it. The Centrimax is perfectly engineered to remove the AI engines high soot. If a guy checks his oil samples, has a tuned engine, changes the centrimax each round and follows factory intervals you end up around 3% soot and a healthy engine. 5% is max per Mack. 

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

Back in 2006 we got a service contract for a small fleet of new CXN’s that had the OPS aftermarket oil filter setup on them straight from the factory. We removed them with in the first year and followed the standard service procedures. They ran those trucks for at least 8 years with no oil related issues. Not worth the hassle. These systems are still a factory option as back in the summer I had to work on a new MRU that broke down while being delivered due to a oil leak on the OPS system. 

The Centrimax is perfectly engineered to remove the AI engines high soot

Yup and in typical Volvo Fashion they only used the excellent centramax half a year on the MP7 and then deleted it! Baphoons! Another Good  Mack design swept under the carpet by the Volvo  people!

• Like 1

If a guy was really conciencious, above the line, concerned, for what his engine is doing........ get the wife a new kitchen scale for Christmas. Throw your centrimax on her old kitchen scale after your oil change. Write the normal (carbon loaded) weight on the scale as your baseline. When you see the weight going up you have engine issues. Dirty injector, blowby, etc.. 

If you’ve never chopped one of your old centrimax open, do it for curiousity. Looks exactly like a big zinc-carbon battery inside. Black, dry, carbon clay.

I have seen these full to the point of not being able to spin! That cartage was heavy, This  customer was  so lax on his oil changes Because the engine was" leaking so much oil " he decided it was not necessary to change the oil or filters! amazingly 25 thou plus hours and still going!

MACK Tough!

Edited by fjh

• 1 year later...

@Mack Technician-can you elaborate more on how blowby will affect the centrimax filter? Have an 07 CTP Granite with an EPA 06 MP7. Truck has 160xxx miles, and its blowing oil out the blowby tube. Also can only get 8-10K miles out of an oil change before it cuts out flagging low oil pressure (we are topping off, using probably 1 gal/week). Sent the last oil out for sample, all normal, no coolant, not high fuel dilution, and still in vis range for a 1540. So got me thinking, not the oil causing low oil pressure, but the filters, since they are changed every time, then good for another 8-10K miles. 

Is this engine needing a rebuild? Truck pulls strong, just struggling to believe its time to tear down with such low mileage, and reasonable hours. Appreciate any thoughts you have. 

30 minutes ago, EWB555 said:

@Mack Technician-can you elaborate more on how blowby will affect the centrimax filter? Have an 07 CTP Granite with an EPA 06 MP7. Truck has 160xxx miles, and its blowing oil out the blowby tube. Also can only get 8-10K miles out of an oil change before it cuts out flagging low oil pressure (we are topping off, using probably 1 gal/week). Sent the last oil out for sample, all normal, no coolant, not high fuel dilution, and still in vis range for a 1540. So got me thinking, not the oil causing low oil pressure, but the filters, since they are changed every time, then good for another 8-10K miles. 

Is this engine needing a rebuild? Truck pulls strong, just struggling to believe its time to tear down with such low mileage, and reasonable hours. Appreciate any thoughts you have. 

Don’t think in terms of centrimax filter, you have a different setup to separate crankcase gases that kinda looks like it’s a filter can, but isn’t. Follow the blowby tube up and you have a rotunda looking device to separate oil/air. I haven’t had one apart on an MP7, but on our 13.5 liter Deere (with the exact setup) I’ve had the shaft bear fail on the rotator and oil separation was done. Overnight the engine was leaving a puddle of oil everywhere it stopped for 5 minutes and eating two gallons between changes. 

The low oil pressure has me scratching my head....filters don’t cause that. 

• 3 weeks later...

I really appreciate your response. Been a while since i had a chance to look at the truck myself (Its my Dads, I just Help him out on weekends). So this blowby tube just goes directly to the side of the valve cover, there is no device in line. I know what your talking about though as his 2016 Mack with an MP7 has one. This truck is an 07 with what i believe is an EPA 06 MP7 (It has EGR for sure) 

We changed the oil this evening, and i did observe that the oil fill tube connects to the pan right next to the blowby tube, its rubber/plastic and I cant 100% rule out that the oil thats blowing down the side of the motor and all up under the frame is coming from there. Maybe wishful thinking but I cleaned it up and we are going to keep an eye on it. 

Also questioning that maybe we arent being given the correct oil filters for the truck? Any time i have been in to pick them up, its always individual filters, Mack doesnt make a Kit, and that truck is kind of an in between as its an 07 CTP with the MP7, a lot of 07's were the CV model with the AMI engine. The only reason I am saying this is becasue if we know the oil is good per the sample when we change it, the only other thing that could be affecting the oil pressure is the filters. The problem we are having run 8-10K miles, truck starts shutting down for low oil pressure on long pulls, change oil & filters, good for another 8-10K. 

We pulled another oil sample to send out. Other then that kind of at a loss. Just still struggling to believe this thing needs an overhaul at 171K miles, especially seeing how the last oil sample came back, without coolant, excessive wear metals, or fuel dilution. 

Any thoughts are always appreciated.