WS 4700 Enhancements

kscarbel2

There is NOTHING Western Star or Detroit can ever do to make me want another. I realize they aren't all bad, but mine is such  a lemon It made it so I can't even stand looking at a W Star. 

The Detroit has been solid as far as hard parts (except for the fan belt tensioners) but it is an emission system nightmare. Whereas the ISX Cummins has had a lot of hard part failures but not nearly as many regens and shut downs as this DD15.

This is just my opinion. I see many in long haul applications that are trouble free, but my Star was built with so many flaws I can't even list them all here. And that DD15 don't like in-town dump truck work in any weather, let alone when it is minus 10 to 20°F

Looks like they raided the Benz parts bins for those Dash & control stalks Bits & pieces..

I'm pleasantly surprised at the  X12 being standard fitment. would've put money on the 11litre Benz OM470 being rebranded a DD11 & fitted..

Hope We get it down here. A 450-500Hp X12 version with that 40'" sleeper would sell well  in my opinion..

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

On 1/22/2019 at 9:36 PM, Bullheaded said:

There is NOTHING Western Star or Detroit can ever do to make me want another. I realize they aren't all bad, but mine is such  a lemon It made it so I can't even stand looking at a W Star. 

The Detroit has been solid as far as hard parts (except for the fan belt tensioners) but it is an emission system nightmare. Whereas the ISX Cummins has had a lot of hard part failures but not nearly as many regens and shut downs as this DD15.

This is just my opinion. I see many in long haul applications that are trouble free, but my Star was built with so many flaws I can't even list them all here. And that DD15 don't like in-town dump truck work in any weather, let alone when it is minus 10 to 20°F

In my opinion  if you're going to by a new unit, you need to check out where your best service is going to be! Because your going to need it! Very seldom do the new units run trouble free for a  year!

Well I'm kinda amazed now. They had to put a whole new harness in for the SCR system and I have just ran 3 twelve hour shifts in MINUS 45°F weather and it is still running!!!!!

Only one parked regen in those 3 days. It's a miracle!!

I still hate it though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Trucks Planet  /  March 8, 2019

Daimler AG subsidiary Western Star Trucks has presented an updated version of their 4700 Series truck, the most popular product in the brand's line-up. First introduced in 2011, the 4700 in 6x4 configuration has a GVW from 24 tonnes and are available as a rigid and tractor.

This year the trucks got major technical improvement. The newest 11.9-liter Cummins X12 turbodiesel has the power range from 350 to 500 hp, and the torque from 1700 to 2300 Nm. Old engines are still available: 9.0-liter Cummins L9 and a 13.0-liter Detroit DD13. The advantage of the Cummins X12 is its lightweight design, which increases the load capacity and economic efficiency of the trucks.

Another important innovation of the 4700 is the new automated Detroit DT12 gearbox. It has a hill climb assistance function and a clutch control system. The new gearbox provides a smoother ride. With this upgrade the Western Star 4700 Series has got new high-comfort mattress, a lane keeping function and an automatic braking system.

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 4a.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Photo 3.jpg