Sign in to follow this  
41chevy

1937 MACK BUS Eye Candy

It's got a Ram Air intake!!

• Like 1

I'm wondering about the shift connection. Is it air or mechanical? I remember riding on some of those old "pushers" and the driver having trouble with every shift.

My guess is cable operated shifters.   With age I'm sure they get stiff and sloppy.  I'm betting around town they hardy got into 2nd gear?  Looks like the clutch is cable also, but I'm thinking I've seen many with air clutch.  I'm guessing it took plenty of finesse to drive it smoothly.

I grew up with early GMC buses, most being automatics.  

Similar to this design:

TDH3502.jpg

With those old GMC busses it seemed like the steering must have been about 20 turns lock to lock.  Drivers really had to work to earn their pay.

In 1985, the company I worked for bought a couple of K100E cabovers with cable shift...talk about stiff! I hated those things.

10 hours ago, HarryS said:

I'm wondering about the shift connection. Is it air or mechanical? I remember riding on some of those old "pushers" and the driver having trouble with every shift.

All the info I've found is it is mechanical with flex joints ever section to bell cranks to shift rods to trans. The trans is a 3 speed so two rods make sense.

Those buses were still in the double clutch era. No wonder it was so hard to get the gears changed.

• Like 1