NOS door installation

My doors fit almost perfect until I put the foam door seals in . The right side is ok but the left is hard to close . The white and brown  B 61 at the Lexington KY show with the factory sleeper did not have the foam seals .  I asked the owner about them . He said the doors fit perfect without them so he left then out . I do not think he drove the truck much .

Ed,. Ya, I drive my a lot and when it's cool the drafts coming in around doors can be annoying.  Summer not so bad when the a/c is blowing ice at you! I don't mind slamming them if they fit tight.

Robert, likely not change the glass configuration.  Unlike many, I like my vent windows!  Either allowing a good blast of air or diverting wind buffeting when window is down.

I would like to convert to electric windows.  It's a tight fit, I've mocked up a Ford window motor.  Hard/impossible to get window assy in the door with that motor.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

What did everyone use for felts and whiskers?  Generic stuff?  R model?  Watts used to carry it but have not researched it yet.  I literally tore into this yesterday afternoon on a whim.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

went to the local paint glass and body supply store Larry. I cheaped out and only put the chrome beaded stuff on the top where people could see. put the cheap window channel in the channel in the panel itself. I used black weatherstrip adhesive. I think the window wipes themselves I used generic cut to fit stuff. maybe for an 70's Ford or square body Chevy. I have used R model stuff on a B model before to

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

7 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Ed,. Ya, I drive my a lot and when it's cool the drafts coming in around doors can be annoying.  Summer not so bad when the a/c is blowing ice at you! I don't mind slamming them if they fit tight.

Robert, likely not change the glass configuration.  Unlike many, I like my vent windows!  Either allowing a good blast of air or diverting wind buffeting when window is down.

I would like to convert to electric windows.  It's a tight fit, I've mocked up a Ford window motor.  Hard/impossible to get window assy in the door with that motor.

Do both your out handles drop down a bit? I have a box of the springs that keep the handles straight in my mixer parts container.I needed a pair and the vintage body hardware guy at Hersey offered me a box of 50 for 5 bucks.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

17 hours ago, Freightrain said:

What did everyone use for felts and whiskers?  Generic stuff?  R model?  Watts used to carry it but have not researched it yet.  I literally tore into this yesterday afternoon on a whim.

Last I knew Watt's had them.  For various Mack and non mack projects, I have been able to match up sizes for the glass run channels, whiskers, rubber bumpers, weatherstriping, etc. through Restoration Specialities.  Purchased items for both the DE and the B with L cab and quality is very good.

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

Noticing the size of the work stall, I will have to wait outside...

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Paul,  yes the drivers handle droops a touch.  The passenger not so bad.  I played/replaced with the springs years back, but needs attention again.  Once I get the door parts off the panel I'll look at them again.  If the springs you have are the correct ones, I'll use them.  Not sure what I did back when?

I'm going to poke around and see what I can find for window felts/etc.  I called my buddy, going to drop the parts off this week and have him get started. Once Rob gets me the window stop plate I can have things painted.  I seem to have lost the left over pint of paint I had from painting my heater box 17 yrs ago.  I had a factory painted panel scanned and matched.  I guess I'll give my buddy the heater cover and let him have it rescanned to match it.

I'll check into the power window kit this week.  I know Speedway Motors offered a handle switch that operates the window so you don't have the switch boxes mounted to the outside.  It uses the regular window crank so it doesn't look like power windows.  I like the idea.  I think I will also look at welding a piece of tubing to the hinges to run the wires safely into the dash area so there are no exposed wires.

Jim, ya I have a friend that can also just look from the outside of the stall.  Lol!  I feel fortunate enough to at least have it inside.  Though it can be a PITA to work on.  Another friend is building a 48x60 this spring so come next winter if I want to do something to it I can have elbow room!!

Larry

Freightrain, if you want the original Mack interior green, I found Axalta (Dupont) 44419 Frost Green Metallic...my interior was painted with that and it looks correct. Other numbers that are supposed to be the same color are Mack 312sx19p2, Kirker 812 or 812a, PPG 45735, NAPA 42198, and Sherwin Williams B7-42198-00-Y.

I went and found a better stiffer, denser closed cell foam rubber for my doors the new hollow stuff is crap it doesn't hold the doors from rattling in the jambs. I used this stuff and it only puts a small indentation in it and that's enough to hold the door rigid and seal out the weather. I went and sourced all my window felt for the tracks ang cat whisker from ebay stores works better and half the cost.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, everything got paint!  Wow, buddy did a really nice job.

Here's a couple teaser pics til I get everything unboxed and bolted on.

Mirrors and trims pieces:
IMG-20190207-182559414.jpg

window panels:

IMG-20190207-182604174.jpg

Outside of door:

IMG-20190207-182612967.jpg

Inside of door:

IMG-20190207-182623439.jpg

Of course now my buddy wants to know when I'm bringing the cab over?   Ah, ya, right.  Not sure that will ever happen?  I'd like to just touch up the outside and get some fresh white on it to match the rest.

I did get the passenger door hung back on last night.  I got the vent window kinda cleaned up and put on.  The chrome is pitte on the outside but I'm not ready to spend the money to get that fixed!!!  Now I need to get window felts and tracks, some more new SS hardware and start bolting things on.  I'm still on the fence about putting power windows in it?  We'll see after I get everything else put back on the truck.

• Like 1

Larry