L Fire Engine Restoration

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mowerman said:

Wow looks great,,,,,god love ya for working so fast,,,,glad you got it all ready ,, come over here and start on mine lol bob

Believe me I had plenty of help! Hoping to have it out at a show at the end of the month...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

2 minutes ago, HarryS said:

Looks great! Which show are you talking about?

Hopefully the 11th Annual Mt. Airy Memorabilia & Equipment Sale in Maryland on the 29th. We’ll see how it works out...

Definitely trying to plan to have it at CAFAA’s muster in MD this year, Pump Primers in PA, and the Gerhart All Mack Show in PA. Might try to have them both at Macungie... and maybe a few others depending on what comes up...

8 minutes ago, mowerman said:

well....im sure that truck,will go anywhere now....have a ball with it...bob

It'll certainly go anywhere, including up a wall... just at a max of 55 mph... keeping somewhat local, like within 2 hours of normal travel time and sticking to back roads is preferable...

yes im quite familiar ,,,my DM has the same top end......kinda gets old in a hurry with everyone taking you apart on the highway...... gotta new transmission for it a few years ago.....im not sure if it will pick up the top end or not....bob

3 minutes ago, mowerman said:

yes im quite familiar ,,,my DM has the same top end......kinda gets old in a hurry with everyone taking you apart on the highway...... gotta new transmission for it a few years ago.....im not sure if it will pick up the top end or not....bob

Luckily most of my limited experience driving the L on the highway is pretty positive, so far most people have seemed ok and in some cases even excited with the inconvenience of the slowed traffic once they realized the hold up was a real old looking firetruck...

Still, whenever we get the money we plan on changing out the rear end to be like the one that was in the sister apparatus which made her top speed closer to 80...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davehummell said:

What is the rear ratio that is in it now and what is your rpm when your at 55 mph? 

About 2500 rpm in 5th at 55 MPH. No clue on the gear ratio off the top of my head, I'll have to check the manuals on both mine and the sister on Saturday when we go to bring the truck back home... It's either been too cold this week or we've been too busy to drive the thing home from the shop we rebuilt the engine in...

10 minutes ago, davehummell said:

I have a good mack rear it is a 464 ratio s cams new drums shoes bearings seals one new type 30 maxi. it has 11-22.5 tires on it i ran it up to this winter i put an air ride under my truck.

By any chance is yours this blue B getting brake work done at D&D?

Edited by CaptainCrutch

1 minute ago, davehummell said:

No mine is red and i do all the work myself .

Figured I'd ask, the owner of it has a similar name (but I'm no good with names), then saw you had a B model... 

I've not seen one of those "old" selenium, or germanium plate rectifiers in a long time. They do carry a lot of current for their size however. Not as efficient for size as modern silicone based rectifiers but certainly did the job making very clean DC voltage output.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarite ........ too much fun thanks for sharing and 10-4 on the lousy weather....... I’m burned out on it..... cold and windy this morning in reno👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻.... bob

I was lucky enough to have finally gotten a good day to drive the thing home earlier. Very comfortable in that cab all around. It’s also running a lot smoother so now I don’t feel the thumping of the engine in my chest when I’m trying to fall asleep. Other than that I’ve been thinking about digging out my winter coat again...

this winter has been a little colder than usuall,,,, alotta pretty good days here  normally in the winter,,, hardly any  this year ......dont even bother trying to do anything outside the house,,,unless i got a decent day,,,,i just sit on the sofa...bob