L Fire Engine Restoration

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

missed the part about grandpa......so sorry my friend ,,,,hard to let go,,,especially if your close.....good luck with that beautiful ride.....maybe you should start keeping in touch with some of the fellas with hemmings motor news,,,can probably turn you on to all kinds of suppliers....bob

Thanks, it’s been a little while now and we’re still dealing with some of his stuff left behind.
As for the truck, the place she’s at now it probably an excellent supplier looking at their parts shed... and the guy said he’s working on one of these at the moment only he’s doing a diesel repower. He actually gave us some tips to try and get her going again before he sent out a tow truck but as you can see that didn’t quite work out...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

Well I’ve got really bad news, there’s a leak in one of the fuel lines, but that pales in comparison to the discovery that the block is cracked...

Somewhat luckily the guy we sent it to just ripped an old running 707 out of a junked truck and is more than willing to sell it to us for cheap, problem is that one’s a C motor and ours is a B... anyone know how that conversion works out, and would it be beneficial or possible to retrofit the old top end onto the new bottom?

Also looking into finding a new block if it’s cheap enough...

Regardless this is going to be pretty expensive, so any tips to minimize the cost and time would be great! Kinda crappy way to start out the new year...

Edited by CaptainCrutch

6 minutes ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Well I’ve got really bad news, there’s a leak in one of the fuel lines, but that pales in comparison to the discovery that the block is cracked...

Somewhat luckily the guy we sent it to just ripped an old running 707 out of a junked truck and is more than willing to sell it to us for cheap, problem is that one’s a C motor and ours is a B... anyone know how that conversion works out, and would it be beneficial or possible to retrofit the old top end onto the new bottom?

Also looking into finding a new block if it’s cheap enough...

Regardless this is going to be pretty expensive, so any tips to minimize the cost and time would be great! Kinda crappy way to start out the new year...

Block cracked from freezing, or overheated? Internal crack or external. Pm me a photo if external and I'll see if it can be repaired.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

16 minutes ago, Rob said:

Block cracked from freezing, or overheated? Internal crack or external. Pm me a photo if external and I'll see if it can be repaired.

I’m not quite sure myself, I think it’s a crack all the way through, and it’s probably the same crack that got patched before we got it... I don’t have any pics yet, I’m getting this info from my dad who had to go over to it today. It seems like a crack that just never got fixed correctly the first time and has subsequently got worse... the outer water jacket has been cracked for years though, but we almost overheated the motor one time a little while back because she leaked more water out of the radiator than we thought before we took her out for a drive but shut her down and put water on it before the problem got too bad...

I've repaired blocks in the past with over a foot in length busted out of them. Takes some time to do it right and the engine block really needs to be bare as the cylinders get hot and can go out of round requiring reboring. Loc-n-Stitch works quite well also.

Parts are getting scarce to work with them too on top.....

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

2 minutes ago, CaptainCrutch said:

but shut her down and put water on it before the problem got too bad.

I was always taught never put cold water in a hot motor when its not running as it will crack a head or worse 

I wonder if this may have not helped ?

Or maybe I read it wrong 

Either way good luck

Paul 

Thermal "shock" is never a good thing on a casting. Most cracks or breaks can be repaired but the filler material is getting exorbitant in price and the procedures to set up for a successful weld are expensive in time.

It was hot water on a sunny day and ran just fine for a while afterwards. And as for the cost... that’s almost exactly why we’ve figured out this engine swap is cheaper! Seriously we’re getting a steal for this motor...

6 minutes ago, CaptainCrutch said:

It was hot water on a sunny day and ran just fine for a while afterwards. And as for the cost... that’s almost exactly why we’ve figured out this engine swap is cheaper! Seriously we’re getting a steal for this motor...

You are planning/hoping to swap a complete engine? I thought rebuilding a donor. If the donor is in good condition it's a lot less frustration to change complete.

• Like 1

The two current plans are:

Just do a full swap, either keep the engine to be fixed and put back in the future or just part out the old engine...

Or

Transplant the freshly rebuilt top end on to the replacement bottom end and then put that in the truck...

We’re pretty confident in the new engine because he just spent a bunch of time sorting out the engine before deciding that it was a lost cause trying to bring that truck back and decided to take the frame and body panels and turn it into a diesel rollback. He had a bunch of issues with the tank and the fuel lines as well as the old firebody... he’s had it running recently also...

1 hour ago, CaptainCrutch said:

The two current plans are:

Just do a full swap, either keep the engine to be fixed and put back in the future or just part out the old engine...

Or

Transplant the freshly rebuilt top end on to the replacement bottom end and then put that in the truck...

We’re pretty confident in the new engine because he just spent a bunch of time sorting out the engine before deciding that it was a lost cause trying to bring that truck back and decided to take the frame and body panels and turn it into a diesel rollback. He had a bunch of issues with the tank and the fuel lines as well as the old firebody... he’s had it running recently also...

If the bad engine's only fault is the cracked block, I'd certainly look to keep it for parts down to the smallest detail. I have a couple of 673 engines that are no good for anything but parts; but when you need it.....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

If the bad engine's only fault is the cracked block, I'd certainly look to keep it for parts down to the smallest detail. I have a couple of 673 engines that are no good for anything but parts; but when you need it.....

If we don’t use the top end off the old engine, our goal is to either part it out or fix the block/replace it so we can either sell it or put the truck back to its original state. If we do use the top end off the old motor then we’ll probably just part out everything not going back into the truck, but who knows what the future has in store for us...

The old motor has plenty of excellent parts on it, the carb was just rebuilt, we’ve had all new fuel and water pumps put on it, the entire top end was just rebuilt a little less than a year ago!

Edited by CaptainCrutch

I'm certain there would be a market for what you deemed surplus to your needs. I have room so harbor all kinds of stuff I don't need and until I slow down will continue to do so.

Sounds like the plan is to use the bottom end off the newer C motor and transplant the old B motor onto it to keep things like fuel lines and exhaust in the same general location. Hopefully that works out, if not then we’ll come up with another plan...

Just a suggestion and a angle a lot of times you can bye used equipment state and City deals for pennies on the dollar,,,pull out the low mileage drive train and your in...lol ....but sounds like your trying to keep it somewhat original....god love ya.... and good luck...bob

• Thanks 1

Believe me we’re getting a steal for this engine, a small fraction what a friend of our sold his for non running and in need of a serious rebuild... I think we plan on keeping the old block and maybe fixing it up one day, I know of a truck that currently has a diesel that came from the factory with a 707 so that might be a nice place for a slightly different than original replacement motor with a repaired block...

and I will add that not only are we trying this idea to keep it as original as we reasonably can, we just put a lot of work into the top end on the old motor, and some of the differences between the B and C motors are things like the carb and exhaust manifold switching sides on the engine...

This option will cost us nothing compared to the $26,000 a friend of ours spent getting the block fixed on his 707 engine...

Edited by CaptainCrutch

Well I think I figured out how we cracked the block, it just hit me that years before we got the truck the whole motor was rebuilt because there was a crack in the engine block and back then it didn't cost so much to fix so they just had it repaired. My guess is it was perfectly fixed so spending a few winters outside didn't do any favors to the pre-existing crack and that probably led too the big crack we have today. Just a guess though. Anyways it sounds like my grandma wants to pay fort his because she wants to see my grandpa's old truck out in shows like he always wanted it to. Seems like everything is in motion to get this done, the shop told us we could have it back in about a month which would be great. I hope after this we can clean out the pump and I hope some of y'all will see it out and about later this year. That's wishful thinking, but it's good to keep your goals high but your expectations a little more realistic...

• Like 1

Well as it turns out, the head bolt patterns are different from the B to the C motor, so instead the shop is gonna tear apart a seized A motor they have to see if they can use that. If not the guy said he knows of someone else with a block and another person with a motor so we’ll see how that works out.