Triplex transmission mount bushings

Freightrain

I frequently drill rubber with a barbed pipe fitting in the drill press, it basically acts like a hole saw. It's actually 2 barbed fittings joined by a pipe coupling. One to stick in the drill chuck and the other to do the drilling.  It moreso punches through than drills, but it works on the rubber I use. Doubt it'd work on that stuff, but maybe thinking outside the box will get you taken care of.

Not sure if it's the hole through the middle you need to make or the shoulder. Is it supposed to have a shoulder or is that old one fatigued into that shape?

I got the through hole put in without issue.  Drill cut right through.   The big thing is cutting the shoulder and the pocket on the adjoining part.   The tooling needs to be a razor sharp corner to cut this stuff.  The typical steel cutting inserts have radii which is not good for cutting plastic.  It tends to just melt it and push it over.  Something I just didn't think far enough ahead of.   So, I will make up some tooling and start again.  Haven't scrapped any material, yet.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

And a low cut positive rake to the tool to "shear and peel" rather than "dig" the thickness away. Light plunge at a high travel speed with flood cooling if available worked best for me. 

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

10 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Well, I tried to machine the poly urethane yesterday.  Didn't go well.  I need to grind up some brazed tip tooling as the std steel cutting insert tooling I was using has too large of a radius and just made a mess of it.  Ugh.

I don't mind making stuff, but getting time in the lathe is hard anymore with the workload in that department.  Then to have the wrong tooling? This is when I wish I could just BUY the damn mounts.  Either that or I need a lathe at home?

I was in the same position as you years ago. I was allowed to use the machinery in the shop i worked at after hours on my own stuff. Had the same issues or guys just tying up machines to be Dicks. 

Go to HGR Industrial Surplus in Cleveland and get a nice used lathe and Bridgeport. You will ask yourself why you didn't do it years ago. Got a nice Brown & Sharp surface grinder $600 and a Do-All saw $900. A servo drive Monarch EE toolroom lathe for $1600. Just the convention from tube drive was $20,000 to have done.They were made for over 60 years and super accurate. Best thing I ever did for myself.

I had a mate make polyurethane bushes for Timken 8 rod 

I bought the polyurethane and watched my mate make the bushes

He made a tool that was like a big knife out of square tool steel

It cut really well as the there was very little deflection on the polyurethane 

He was a very smart man with this type of stuff but unfortunately is no longer with us

Paul 

Ya, HGR, been there a few times for work.  It's a BIG place with a LOT of stuff in it.  Wish I had the room for a lathe in my garage, but too many vehicles!  I have a nice table top mill(vintage JET, not a new cheapo chinese).  9"x24" table, so it's not really small.  It took my engine crane to get it up on the bench in two pieces!

Guys don't hog machines here, but I won't tear down set ups to do guberment work(and that dept is busy).  The problem is we just lost another small lathe(broke it and we're scrapping it), so machines to do this kind of work are hens teeth in our shop.  Now, if I wanted to throw that 3" piece of material into the Lehman...but it has a 28" chuck and 38ft between centers>  Kinda big for what I need to do.

I'm well versed in CNC conversions, so that wouldn't scare me at all.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Was at local dealer this morning to get O rings for the oil filter housing.   "Jeff" at the parts counter is old school and pretty knowledgeable.  He knows me from coming in.   He looked up the old part numbers, crossed it to new numbers and is ordering mounts for "stock".   Seems Vulva has a ton of them.  They must be used for other things today?  Should be in first of next week, we'll see if they are correct.  This will hopefully alleviate me from having to manufacture them.

Larry

20QL245P1, and 20QL1118A, and 20QL252P3 are insulators I have used in the past for transmission mountings. Can't remember however the series of truck they were used on.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Here are the part numbers:

$22/each piece.  So get ready to spend $190 for all four sets.   

These were the better looking pieces I pulled.  Most were just pieces/parts.

IMG_20190321_184215926.jpg

I only had to fight to get one of the larger pieces out of the drivers side.  It was rusted and stuck.  I couldn't work from the top and the clutch linkage is in the way from the bottom.  Ugh.  Persistence paid off, it finally broke loose.  New bolts and nylok nuts and I got the floor panel put back in.  We're ready to take it for a test spin when the weather breaks.

Larry

Those part numbers do ring a bell that is long buried in cold storage. The same larger bushings are used under the radiator support also. I've got to find the note where I jotted the part numbers down, but I believe the same bushings work for the cab mounting also.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well it took a bit of effort to get some of the old bushings out.  They had rusted together pretty bad.  Once cleaned out and with new bolts it went together nice.  The test drive the other night seems positive.  I've got a road trip coming the end of the month, that will be the real test.

• Like 1

Larry