Triplex transmission mount bushings

Freightrain

What are you guys using on a B model?  Mine are way gone and on the list to fix this winter.  Watts doesn't list them anymore.  I have no problem going to Summit Racing and buying polyurethane bushings to upgrade from rubber.  5/8" hole approx. 1" thick.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Found some Energy Suspension bushings that I can cut and make what I need.  They make all kinds of body mounts stuff, that is what I used to put the bunk on my truck.  Just coming up with the correct sizes, thus I may buy the universal stuff and make it fit.

Larry

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

Found some Energy Suspension bushings that I can cut and make what I need.  They make all kinds of body mounts stuff, that is what I used to put the bunk on my truck.  Just coming up with the correct sizes, thus I may buy the universal stuff and make it fit.

Easy to machine.  :)

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

What are the bushings you are talking about? Does a triplex have rear mount to the chassis? Ot those the engine seats on at the rear?

Just have no idea and wonder what a B-model has of that setup.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Mid mount of transmission to the frame.  This is what the top half of the bushing looks like.  The lower half was literally nothing left.  The bushing is upside down compared to its actual placement.  That small pilot(what's left) went through the frame mount hole.

IMG-20190101-171416314.jpg

Larry

Looks like pre 1962 Chevy W engine motor mount pads.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

5 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Well, my material showed up.  Now to get some spare time to widdle it down to useable pieces.

IMG-20190115-161923036.jpg

Nylatron??

P.T.CHESHIRE

I have very large machine shop at my disposal for the last 32 yrs of my employment, so making anything is not an issue.  Sometimes I cant find the time to do it??

I've done my own machine work on the engine block for the race car.   I even redrilled my flywheel for the 237:  This is the G/L horizontal mill with 4'x8' table.  
IMG-20160306-104127-282.jpg

• Like 1

Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have the material to make the bushings, been sitting on my desk for a couple weeks now.  I also have the bushings.  I was trying to keep from having to make them, so I did some googling and found some at Home Depot?  5/8" ID, 7/8" OD, 1 1/2" long.  $10 for 5.  Kinda spendy, but good enough(worth it to not have to make them).  Just need some time after work to start machining the polyurethane.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I tried to machine the poly urethane yesterday.  Didn't go well.  I need to grind up some brazed tip tooling as the std steel cutting insert tooling I was using has too large of a radius and just made a mess of it.  Ugh.

I don't mind making stuff, but getting time in the lathe is hard anymore with the workload in that department.  Then to have the wrong tooling? This is when I wish I could just BUY the damn mounts.  Either that or I need a lathe at home?

Larry