Sign in to follow this  

Educate me about RD bumpers

Looking at replacing bumpers on an 87 and a 96.  The 96 has a hendrickson 7643 on it now, and the 87 has  a 7644.   When looking at images of other peoples trucks i sometimes see a bumper with a center tow hole. Was this always an option?  The bumpers look the same  from the 80s up until cv granites . are they interchangeable? What is needed to mount it?

Your 1987 RD, for example, was available with ten bumper options:

Flush-mounted painted steel corporate bumper (24QL4284P5)

Flush-mounted chrome steel corporate bumper (24QL3446P6)

Flush-mounted aluminum corporate bumper

Flush-mounted stainless steel clad aluminum corporate bumper

Extended-mounting painted steel corporate bumper

Extended-mounting chrome steel corporate bumper

Extended-mounting stainless steel clad aluminum corporate bumper

Extended-mounting swept back channel type painted steel with center tow pin

Extended-mounting swept back channel type chrome steel with center tow pin

Transporter bumper (temporary shipping bumper)

cover photo, Image may contain: sky and outdoor

In this photo( borrowed from FB)  They are both extended mounting swept back channel types, but only the one on the right is deeper and has center tow.  Could someone tell me a part number for the one on the right and what parts would be need to change from the style on the left . Thanks

14 minutes ago, 6368 said:

In this photo( borrowed from FB)  They are both extended mounting swept back channel types, but only the one on the right is deeper and has center tow.  Could someone tell me a part number for the one on the right and what parts would be need to change from the style on the left . Thanks

Your Mack brand dealer can tell you. It's their job. Their part department can, with your model and serial number, contact Mack parts operations and submit a "changeover" request.

1 hour ago, 6368 said:

Surely you jest. My mack dealer has hard time finding a fuel filter.

Surely you jest sir. The Volvo global parts system is both superior to the old Mack system and second to none......ask Barry if you don't believe.

Surely you jest sir. The Volvo global parts system is both superior to the old Mack system and second to none......ask Barry if you don't believe.

I hope your being sarcastic

At least Barry will look up stuff. The local dealer is stumped if it does not come up in the computer
  • Like 1

When presented with the s/n off of my RD822sx, my local Mack dealer  says my truck doesn’t exist. I’ve ordered from Watts several times, and they don’t have a problem with the s/n. 

I don’t think it’s so much of a problem with the corporate parts database, as it is just some awful dealers. How is it that Watts can look my s/n up but my local dealer (McMahon) can’t?

From what I see at the picture the right truck's bumper is off DM or Granite.

Sitting in my chair I would go to evil bay and put "Mack bumper" in the search field. Plenty of offers show up and many have model description. Some of them used to be wroong as we all know. But I'd go that way to start basic reference.