Sign in to follow this  
Outbehindthebarn

Classy Ford

Is that a "Big Job"? The cab and fenders look like a pickup on steroids.

• Haha 1

That last one is neat, BUT Not many aluminum Budd's around in 1956!!!!

There were quite a few “Big Jobs” built into fire apparatus. They were a good option for Departments that couldn’t afford custom apparatus. Here is one sitting out in a field in VA. It is in good company with about 20-Macks

bigjob.jpg

• Like 1

Had a 1951 Ford F-7 Big Job with Marmon Herrington 4X4 many years ago.  It had served the Richmond, MA Fire Dept and utilized a mid ship pump.  All the fire gear had been removed before I got it.

1951 Ford F-7 MH Fire Truck.jpg

• Like 1

i always thought that the scoop was on riight hand side and with opening to rear or was that on a diferant model

Here is a few more. Lyon's ford wrecker was restored and at Riverhead Ford

lyon1959liny-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

.fordt800-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

forddump-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

ford-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Here is a few more. Lyon's ford wrecker was restored and at Riverhead Ford

lyon1959liny-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

.fordt800-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

forddump-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

ford-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Like that built up bucket on the Northwest.  Those early 50's Ford tandems were aftermarket installs. Ford began building factory tandems in 1954. The guys running those cable machines were true "operators".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

.Yes I know, I saw the different axle caps.Looked at a B upstate that had a tandem conversion with the dead axle and a KW tandem with a belt drive dead axle. Pretty neat conversions.

I was going to ask if the early fords had Trado conversions or if they were ford .I also remember see HIHO concrete in Danbury ct with the belt drive dead axle on IH 's trailer dumps back in mid 50's.There batch plant was at the Danbury rail yard at the big old wood frame coal depot .Used to watch the  NYC trains change from  EP3 electric  (they were monsters they didn't make very much noise but shook the ground) the  to diesel  Alco's. (they were stream line PA1's)

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

.Yes I know, I saw the different axle caps.Looked at a B upstate that had a tandem conversion with the dead axle and a KW tandem with a belt drive dead axle. Pretty neat conversions.

Belt drives.  When the weight laws in early 60's-I assume to 73,280 for five axles??- My company  had a lot of single axle tractors that were too new to get rid of without taking a big hit.  So we went the "belt drive" route.  I believe they were a Page and Page set up.  By the time I started, most were gone, replaced by tandems.  Might have worked in Fla. but not the best set up in Northeast-although they did provide the weight saving as well as the ability to hit the new max GCW.

I guess were seeing that again with a lot of fleets going to a dead axle.  Then again with the advances in materials, maybe the belt drive will make a comeback😉

13 minutes ago, gxbxc said:

I was going to ask if the early fords had Trado conversions or if they were ford .I also remember see HIHO concrete in Danbury ct with the belt drive dead axle on IH 's trailer dumps back in mid 50's.There batch plant was at the Danbury rail yard at the big old wood frame coal depot .Used to watch the  NYC trains change from  EP3 electric  to diesel  Alco's.

Hi-Ho D'Addario!

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

Belt drives.  When the weight laws in early 60's-I assume to 73,280 for five axles??- My company  had a lot of single axle tractors that were too new to get rid of without taking a big hit.  So we went the "belt drive" route.  I believe they were a Page and Page set up.  By the time I started, most were gone, replaced by tandems.  Might have worked in Fla. but not the best set up in Northeast-although they did provide the weight saving as well as the ability to hit the new max GCW.

I guess were seeing that again with a lot of fleets going to a dead axle.  Then again with the advances in materials, maybe the belt drive will make a comeback😉

Page and Page! I couldn't for the life of me remember the name. Cogged belt drives with the "New" kevlar" belts has been tested but until there is and easy way to replace a damaged one we won't see it.

the old scales were very easy to throw off, slight pressure of the thumb could make you 5,000 lbs overweight so you had to go tip off, or make you 5,000 lbs underweight so you would get busted at the state scales. 

After looking closely at the beautiful yellow “Big Job” I wonder if it started its life as a Fire Truck. It was common practice to have spot lights on both the driver’s side and officer’s side. Does anyone know the origins of this truck?

Were early Ford tandems a T series?