Classy Ford

Outbehindthebarn

Here is a few more. Lyon's ford wrecker was restored and at Riverhead Ford

lyon1959liny-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

.fordt800-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

forddump-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

ford-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Here is a few more. Lyon's ford wrecker was restored and at Riverhead Ford

lyon1959liny-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

.fordt800-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

forddump-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

ford-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Like that built up bucket on the Northwest.  Those early 50's Ford tandems were aftermarket installs. Ford began building factory tandems in 1954. The guys running those cable machines were true "operators".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

.Yes I know, I saw the different axle caps.Looked at a B upstate that had a tandem conversion with the dead axle and a KW tandem with a belt drive dead axle. Pretty neat conversions.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I was going to ask if the early fords had Trado conversions or if they were ford .I also remember see HIHO concrete in Danbury ct with the belt drive dead axle on IH 's trailer dumps back in mid 50's.There batch plant was at the Danbury rail yard at the big old wood frame coal depot .Used to watch the  NYC trains change from  EP3 electric  (they were monsters they didn't make very much noise but shook the ground) the  to diesel  Alco's. (they were stream line PA1's)

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

.Yes I know, I saw the different axle caps.Looked at a B upstate that had a tandem conversion with the dead axle and a KW tandem with a belt drive dead axle. Pretty neat conversions.

Belt drives.  When the weight laws in early 60's-I assume to 73,280 for five axles??- My company  had a lot of single axle tractors that were too new to get rid of without taking a big hit.  So we went the "belt drive" route.  I believe they were a Page and Page set up.  By the time I started, most were gone, replaced by tandems.  Might have worked in Fla. but not the best set up in Northeast-although they did provide the weight saving as well as the ability to hit the new max GCW.

I guess were seeing that again with a lot of fleets going to a dead axle.  Then again with the advances in materials, maybe the belt drive will make a comeback😉

13 minutes ago, gxbxc said:

I was going to ask if the early fords had Trado conversions or if they were ford .I also remember see HIHO concrete in Danbury ct with the belt drive dead axle on IH 's trailer dumps back in mid 50's.There batch plant was at the Danbury rail yard at the big old wood frame coal depot .Used to watch the  NYC trains change from  EP3 electric  to diesel  Alco's.

Hi-Ho D'Addario!

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

Belt drives.  When the weight laws in early 60's-I assume to 73,280 for five axles??- My company  had a lot of single axle tractors that were too new to get rid of without taking a big hit.  So we went the "belt drive" route.  I believe they were a Page and Page set up.  By the time I started, most were gone, replaced by tandems.  Might have worked in Fla. but not the best set up in Northeast-although they did provide the weight saving as well as the ability to hit the new max GCW.

I guess were seeing that again with a lot of fleets going to a dead axle.  Then again with the advances in materials, maybe the belt drive will make a comeback😉

Page and Page! I couldn't for the life of me remember the name. Cogged belt drives with the "New" kevlar" belts has been tested but until there is and easy way to replace a damaged one we won't see it.

P.T.CHESHIRE

the old scales were very easy to throw off, slight pressure of the thumb could make you 5,000 lbs overweight so you had to go tip off, or make you 5,000 lbs underweight so you would get busted at the state scales. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..