Gutless wonder

Hello big Mack truck members! 

Glad to be here! 

I’m a first time blogger so pls let me know if I’m doing this wrong. Also new in joining here although have searched for relevant info to my Mack woes here before. I appreciate any and all help I receive here!

We bought a used 06 Mack cv713 427 straight turbo (ASET I believe?) 18spd Mack trans. A couple years ago from a private seller. Have had it a while now. This truck started out ok but has increasingly had poor acceleration. It sometimes will sputter off the line. At times starts to accelerate strong but then almost seems to derate power (no engine light illuminates) as the pedal turns to mush and I watch my boost drop. then usually within 2 to 5 seconds (after any momentum I’ve built has been lost) will come back to life and boost returns to normal range. This sometimes will happen several times in each gear. Needless to say it takes a long time to get up to road speed. It rarely happens over 1600 rpm. We’ve spent a lot of money trying to get to the bottom of this and magically the mechanic at Mack can never get it to act up even after two ride alongs and the dyno they recommended to me went flawlessly as well so it must be a figment of my imagination. I have codes for 2 unit pumps although this problem continues despite prior unit pump replacements which leads me to blelieve it’s not related.  

Any info is greatly appreciated!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Singlestackmack said:

Hey Mack technician! Thank you for the response! I’m looking foreword to seeing what you shared with me! 

What Mack technician did to that truck is the only real way to fix those motors without dumping a lot of money into the truck... got 2 AI motors that do the same thing, but selling one of them and the other we just deal with...

I love though how we can come on here type in our problem and guys from all over the place know exactly whts going on and have a possible remedy. But if we go to a Mack dealership we have to spend countless money , put the truck down for days and weeks and they make us think we’re crazy.

You came to the right place. These guys are great!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Singlestack! Did you ever figure out the intermittent low power issue? Im having the same issues, may pull good , then reduction of boost(almost like derating), then comes back. Sometimes i can lift off throttle, and get back on it and power resumes, or may have to do it multiple times, or just ride it out. (225)266-6350 talk/text