2004 Vision CX613 Engine Damage!

12 hours ago, fjh said:

So Now that I have calmed down and thinking a tad clearer ! I apologize A bit for the out burst ! I hadn't taken into account your Greenness (for lack of a better word) to the  trucking industry !

BUT ! If you had posted the whole story to start with Including the RPM Part ! It would have saved a bit of time and Typing and  useless Ideas  on our part! The Heads and  bad or bent valves make sence somewhat now ! Now you have a huge can of worms ,head issues as well, as a possible cam failure now or for the future ! Not to be mean here But The sell the truck idea is a real good idea ! Or A good used engine may work for ya! 2004 was the most troublesome of years for this model of truck So throwing a big bag of money at it is NOT a good idea!

Just sayin

no problem. My first 5 words of this entire thread stated my "Greeness" to trucking. My apologies for the misinformation. This mess happened less than 24 hours of making the thread so I was in a frantic state because my only source of income went up in smoke. An honest guy trying to make an honest living to feed 3 kids and wife im sure you can understand my state of mind. Trust me I beat myself enough for the simple blunder of running out of fuel. No time to cry over spilled milk I intend to get back on the road and continue. I have 2 options now.

Rebuild or Purchase a good used engine.

Rebuild Option will consist of 2 new Heads $2100 and Inframe Rebuild Kit $3750 Both from Mack Dealer. $6k in parts and $4500 Labour. $10,500 Total

Used Engine Option I have not found anything for less than $9k from reputable sources Labor for new engine is $2500-$3500. $11500-12500 Total

I'm in no position to finance a truck and I will most likely need $8k-$10k Down and an aprox $1200/month Note.

Before my idiotic blunder I was able to gross $23k in 8weeks home every night. So the money was decent here in the north east. I just want to get back to work and continue in this business I'm still young (33) and with all due respect Walmart aint really for me. I have a used car i can sell and get $3500 for im really leaning towards fixing my truck and moving forward.

If 2004 was such a bad year what year Mack do you recommend I try to get if fixing isnt a good idea?

1 minute ago, MackDaddy85 said:

Now I do know the dangers. I need answers on how to move forward not a lesson on what I should or shouldn't own.

Before you pour any money into it. Take a good look at the overall unit with someone who knows Macks and get a good idea what the other potential issues, if any may be down the road with it.

Everybody on here has made  some type of rookie mistake, learn from it and move on.  Don't be afraid to ask when unsure.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Before you pour any money into it. Take a good look at the overall unit with someone who knows Macks and get a good idea what the other potential issues, if any may be down the road with it.

Everybody on here has made  some type of rookie mistake, learn from it and move on.  Don't be afraid to ask when unsure.

thank you. I did see an aftermarket PAI Inframe Kit for $2885 from a reputable seller on Ebay but my mechanic recommends I get the Kit straight from Mack for $3750

1 minute ago, MackDaddy85 said:

thank you. I did see an aftermarket PAI Inframe Kit for $2885 from a reputable seller on Ebay but my mechanic recommends I get the Kit straight from Mack for $3750

PAI makes quality parts but you and your tech should get what they feel able to work the best with.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

PAI makes quality parts but you and your tech should get what they feel able to work the best with.

He doens't have a problem with PAI he just warned me that if anything goes wrong because of the parts it will cost me more and he PREFERS me to get the parts from MACK. He used to work at a Mack dealer but since opened his own shop so I understand his bias to go with MACK

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maxidyne said:

I agree with 41 Chevy, make a good honest assessment of the condition of the truck. A 14 year old truck like yours will sell for about the cost of a rebuild, so unless the truck is in excellent condition it might be best to part it out.

I would sell but I dont think I will get much with its current issues. If it helps I have 438,000 Miles on it now. Bought it for $6k with 427k on it. Put about $5k in it and started driving it.

5 hours ago, 880joe said:

I have used 2 PAI overhaul kits and quite a bit of other stuff from them and never had any problems. Also I thought I heard PAI would cover parts and labor on warranty where Mack will only cover parts

thank you I may lean for the cheaper PAI kit because money is tight right now. Price difference is about $1000 right now

1 hour ago, Maxidyne said:

If money is tight, what are you going to do if they find the crank or turbo needs replacing too? What if the transmission goes a week after you get the engine rebuilt?

I get what you're saying but i can go and get a brand new truck and the engine can go out on me a week later. The chances we take in life I guess. If those things happen then I will just go drive for a company save up for another truck

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MackDaddy85 said:

I get what you're saying but i can go and get a brand new truck and the engine can go out on me a week later. The chances we take in life I guess. If those things happen then I will just go drive for a company save up for another truck

If you feel comfortable with doing an inframe with heads than go for it, assuming no other issues before.

https://www.pai-diesel.com/uploads/soft/PAI-DIESEL WARRANTY 2016.pdf

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

If you feel comfortable with doing an inframe with heads than go for it, assuming no other issues before.

https://www.pai-diesel.com/uploads/soft/PAI-DIESEL WARRANTY 2016.pdf

thank you. I will make certain that the crank is in good condition before I purchase anything. If it is good I will move foward with the rebuild.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inframe-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-for-Mack-E7-ASET-w-EGR-Valve-PAI-Brand-ERK8049017/253251232637?epid=656851575&hash=item3af6f3237d:g:4XYAAMXQL99Sc-3W:rk:2:pf:0

2 hours ago, MackDaddy85 said:

The difference is the new truck is under warranty so the manufacturer will pay for repairs (unless you 'fess up to the ether ODing). When you're running old trucks, you need to include in your business plan how you're going to handle multiple catastrophes...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maxidyne said:

The difference is the new truck is under warranty so the manufacturer will pay for repairs (unless you 'fess up to the ether ODing). When you're running old trucks, you need to include in your business plan how you're going to handle multiple catastrophes...

Makes sense. Thank you for your advice Im glad i came to the right place. If i have to be a company driver for some time I will. My ultimate goal is to get back on the road as an O/O>

42 minutes ago, MackDaddy85 said:

Makes sense. Thank you for your advice Im glad i came to the right place. If i have to be a company driver for some time I will. My ultimate goal is to get back on the road as an O/O>

I spent my whole career as a company driver, a few times when I was bummed with the job or laid off I looked into buying my own truck, even went truck shopping a few times. But I'd do the numbers and I was making better money as a company driver, so I put up with the Freightliners and worse... But got to drive Macks mostly for the last half of my driving career.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 2:27 PM, MackDaddy85 said:

Moving Forward if and when i repair this engine. I keep reading that the E7 460 ASET agr is a nightmare. Is there and preventative maintenance I can do to not fall in the pitfulls of such a bad engine

Bro one of my main concerns here is the cam an over speed can take the the cam followers out bend valves and push tubes All of a sudden your looking at another big bag of money Cams don't come cheap PAI or not! And by the way PAI kits are  exellent  and better than the Mack stuff in the warranty  Department  how ever that said don't jump head first into this with out looking into the whole thing  cam included make sure you got something to work with.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:15 PM, fjh said:

Bro one of my main concerns here is the cam an over speed can take the the cam followers out bend valves and push tubes All of a sudden your looking at another big bag of money Cams don't come cheap PAI or not! And by the way PAI kits are  exellent  and better than the Mack stuff in the warranty  Department  how ever that said don't jump head first into this with out looking into the whole thing  cam included make sure you got something to work with.

thank you I would def look into this

have you priced a reman motor from Mack  they used to have a good warranty package,   and it you would get a  good cam that way.   if you could chunk the egr system on that motor that would help reliability although  that vgt turbo causes about as many issues as the egr and there no way around it

22 hours ago, bts-4120 said:

have you priced a reman motor from Mack  they used to have a good warranty package,   and it you would get a  good cam that way.   if you could chunk the egr system on that motor that would help reliability although  that vgt turbo causes about as many issues as the egr and there no way around it

Reman Head $1050 from Mack 100,000 Mile Warranty and 2 years I believe. Rebuild Kit 2 year warranty as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents, but if the truck is in good shape and you are happy with it, I would rebuild the engine. Ten grand is cheap (well at least here in Canada it would be, because it cost 30 to 35 grand to do a motor here.) It's the same price here to buy a new crate motor than to rebuild one. 

I only say this because if you go and buy another used truck, what are you getting? Maybe another headache.

And if you go and buy something newer with an emission engine it is going to nickle and dime you to death for it's entire service life. And even with warranty, warranty doesn't pay all your down time.