2004 Vision CX613 Engine Damage!

Hello all! I'm new to trucking just purchased an 04 Mack Vision with 427k on it for $6K. Long story short truck was sitting for a couple years but was well maintained. I put like $5k into it and it ran great. Leased on to a company and drove the truck for 2 months with no issues. Truck has 437k on it now and i'm almost sure I ruined the motor (E7 460).

Picked up a load in upstate New York and on my way back I ran out of fuel (rookie mistake). I basically thought i had more fuel than I did, fuel gauge had a bad wire so i was resetting trip meter every fill up. Anyways ran out of fuel walked 2 miles down the highway got 5 gallons. Good samaritan gave me a ride back. Put the 5 gallons in and here is where i think the damage was done.

After we put the fuel in I had the guy helping me shoot starter fluid in the air intake while i cranked it. After a couple of tries we got it to start and i thought all was well. Drove 50 miles and i begin to feel the truck losing power on top of that i see thick black smoke coming from the exhaust. I pulled over again bled all the lines of any air even changed the fuel filter with a new one but still no power and all this black smoke.

I make it to my mechanic after 6 hours of driving and he tells me I may have burned the valve and need new heads. He recommends I replace heads and do total rebuild on the motor which is going to cost around $10K.

Do I rebuild this truck or get a loan to finance another one. I really don't want any payments. Everything was going well until this idiotic mistake of mine cost me my truck. Was making decent money with company I leased on to was averaging $3k per week Mon-Fri home every night all local runs 200-300 miles/Day.

Personally I don't think you caused damage by using either although it's not recommended but it's not like your the first one to ever use it. It sounds like to me you have a turbo pressure leak wether it be turbo issues or a leak somewhere in the system. 04 Mack's are very troublesome and famous for turbo issues. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alex g said:

Personally I don't think you caused damage by using either although it's not recommended but it's not like your the first one to ever use it. It sounds like to me you have a turbo pressure leak wether it be turbo issues or a leak somewhere in the system. 04 Mack's are very troublesome and famous for turbo issues. 

There was a leak in the exhaust manifold so we changed the gasket but i still have that black smoke coming from the exhaust and I forgot to mention I have no compression in Cylinders 1 and 4

5 hours ago, alex g said:

How did they come to conclusion you have no compression in those cylinders? You will have a very bad miss if you are down 2 cylinders

correct engine is still misfiring. there was a leak in exhaust manifold so i replaced the gaskets but black smoke is still coming out and I have low power.

2 hours ago, fjh said:

In my opinion you have blown off some injector tips with some shit in the tank water or something from off the bottom of the tank IF it sounds like it is missing  ! No compression produces blu  smoke usually! Black smoke means not enough air  or to much fuel look for a blown turbo hose  / bad turbo or something!Before you let these guys rip into anything on the engine! Check some stuff First !!!!

ok will do

14 hours ago, 880joe said:

I would check with a local machine shop on rebuilding your heads my local machine shop done mine for half of what mack wanted. Also a PAI inflame kit would save you some money

Found A PAI inframe kit on Ebay for $2885. Mack Dealer by me charges $3750 for Inframe Kit and $1050 for Heads. Debating on if i should get the ebay Inframe or mack. I dont think the Ebay one comes with head gaskets

On 11/20/2018 at 10:11 PM, 1965 said:

Sure hate to see you spend all that money & it only be a boost leak of some sort

Besides the power issue I have this thick black smoke whenever I Press the gas. No compression in 2 cylinders. I really think I did some internal damage from spraying too much ether into the air filter. At one point when I was cranking the engine initially with the ether the RPM guage Red lined all the way until it couldn't go anymore. I def messed up a piston or something. Engine has been misfiring since my ether mess

10 hours ago, MackDaddy85 said:

Besides the power issue I have this thick black smoke whenever I Press the gas. No compression in 2 cylinders. I really think I did some internal damage from spraying too much ether into the air filter. At one point when I was cranking the engine initially with the ether the RPM guage Red lined all the way until it couldn't go anymore. I def messed up a piston or something. Engine has been misfiring since my ether mess

Sounds like scored cylinders with the running wide open while cold.     terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 9:53 AM, fjh said:

However In light off what has happened And the order in which it happened  Really  question the diagnosis ! 

just sayin

Me Too..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

So now we get more dribbles of info half assed questions half baked replies  I’m done !!! Wall mart is a good idea! Had you saidyou had a runaway to start with we may have given better advice.yup you screwed up!

want help? Post the whole story next time I’m Done talking!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

So Now that I have calmed down and thinking a tad clearer ! I apologize A bit for the out burst ! I hadn't taken into account your Greenness (for lack of a better word) to the  trucking industry !

BUT ! If you had posted the whole story to start with Including the RPM Part ! It would have saved a bit of time and Typing and  useless Ideas  on our part! The Heads and  bad or bent valves make sence somewhat now ! Now you have a huge can of worms ,head issues as well, as a possible cam failure now or for the future ! Not to be mean here But The sell the truck idea is a real good idea ! Or A good used engine may work for ya! 2004 was the most troublesome of years for this model of truck So throwing a big bag of money at it is NOT a good idea!

Just sayin

If you don't know the dangers of ether, you shouldn't own a big truck.
Or even a VW diesel.

I was taught a long time ago that less ether is better.

Ether is fine, several of my truck had KBI cold weather metered ether injection kits on them when I got them, but they did not appear to ever been used.

On 11/22/2018 at 9:59 AM, Dirtymilkman said:

Sell the truck and work for Walmart. You'll be money ahead. 

Thanks for the advice but I'm not built to quit...wasn't raised that way. Made a costly rookie mistake but I own up to my mistakes and will tackle them head on. Thanks Bud