St. Louis Mack Trucks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I worked at Mack STL on Chouteau in 1977, Herb Talley was my Foreman taught me so much in a short time.  Wish had pictures of the old Gateway Readymix three drivers dump two axle Joe Dog with the tri axle dump trailer that used to run from Maryland Heights to West Lake Quarry and back.  Average gross across Earth City Expressway was 167,000 lbs.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DMiller180 said:

I worked at Mack STL on Chouteau in 1977, Herb Talley was my Foreman taught me so much in a short time.  Wish had pictures of the old Gateway Readymix three drivers dump two axle Joe Dog with the tri axle dump trailer that used to run from Maryland Heights to West Lake Quarry and back.  Average gross across Earth City Expressway was 167,000 lbs.

That Gateway Ready Mix trucks sound awesome, was their plant next to five star? They are still running them heavy on the Earth City Expressway per the pic below. A tandem tractor and triaxle dump trailer are good for 135k in the city and county.CDDE6A28-B4E0-468D-B00D-DAEE4620A7FD.thumb.jpeg.a44bb85cac65a526b46dbf78298fbbd9.jpegBD4AAD98-368A-4FA1-AD7C-9031FE9F7853.jpeg.021862992a586ab075c4f75590c4934f.jpeg

Gateway used to be where the Maryland Heights City hall currently sits, all gone to history now.  Was there when the 1977 R Series tri-drive with 26 yard bed was delivered, brand new tandem Joe Dog fifth wheel unit on a 40 ton Pintle, next stop was over to Fruehauf and picked up the 38' Tri-axle frame style curved corner dump trailer.  Was a hoss!!  Can actually get more on single trucks now with less hassle.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 8:06 PM, DMiller180 said:

Gateway used to be where the Maryland Heights City hall currently sits, all gone to history now.  Was there when the 1977 R Series tri-drive with 26 yard bed was delivered, brand new tandem Joe Dog fifth wheel unit on a 40 ton Pintle, next stop was over to Fruehauf and picked up the 38' Tri-axle frame style curved corner dump trailer.  Was a hoss!!  Can actually get more on single trucks now with less hassle.

How much did you gross on the tri-drive and were the mixers all macks? Would be cool if you posted any pics.

Best I can remember they were under Commercial Zone requirements as never accessed interstate, went by Axle Weights, 18 steer, 20 each dual wheel axle but full up the best they pulled from Westlake or the MO River Sand Plant on MO Bottom RD were around total 167,000 gross.  IIRC they could get close to 78,000 just for Truck Gross weight.

• Like 1