dogg rescue

5th wheel, replace or rebuild?

A few of our 5th wheels have some slack in them, one a Holland the other a Fontaine. I have tried adjusting them with very little improvement. The local parts house suggests replacing with a Jost. I was wondering what your guy's thoughts about rebuilding them were.

1st fully understand the workings of the 5th ammendment

chek for wots worn ..... also on the slider if fitted

have U chekd for wear on the king pins

cya

If I remember correctly, complete rebuild kits from Fontaine are very reasonable. Disassemble, give a good thorough washing with a hot water pressure washer, and rebuild. 

Depends

How worn is your existing fifth wheel?

The last kit I received replaced everything except the actual top plate.

The cost of the kit was about 40% of the replacement.

Are your rizers, or sliders in good shape?

Don't forget to check how much it's worn across the face and how worn is the plate and pin on the trailers.

I just rebuilt mine. I have a k-hitch which I don’t think you get over there. It’s a jost style of turntable. Anyway to cut a long story short, it was just the jaw that was worn. Lucky for me cause it’s an older model and the new rebuilt kit didn’t exactly fit. Picture below is of the worn part. 04EC5F36-139F-40D1-9BB7-D90A33B2CB47.thumb.jpeg.70bf2dfe5b8e7030bfcfcee793c47187.jpeg

• Like 1

Glad I read this. I was told by a local dealer to stay away from  Jost as they are cheap poor quality.  Maybe I investagate further

Nowadays you can’t listen to dealers; nobody there has experience; just what I’ve learned 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Nowadays you can’t listen to dealers; nobody there has experience; just what I’ve learned 

"Buy what I sell its the best! The stuff so and so sells is junk!"

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 9:15 PM, Hobert62 said:

"Buy what I sell its the best! The stuff so and so sells is junk!"

yup

On 11/19/2018 at 10:49 AM, ws721 said:

Glad I read this. I was told by a local dealer to stay away from  Jost as they are cheap poor quality.  Maybe I investagate further

That dealer is either clueless, or more likely just wants to push what they sell. In fact, Jost fifth wheels are the gold standard worldwide.

• Like 1