Front Turn Signal Location

Red Horse

40 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Well along with B Mack's complaint on "bright lights",  my bitch is there should be a law that requires that front turn signals should be a certain distance from headlight locations.  Since "lolly pop" turn signals have fallen victim to "aerodynamics" and the move to integrate turn signals into the headlight bucket, I think the visibility and effectiveness of turn signals has suffered. 

Or maybe I'm just getting old👿

I find the lights are so bright that the directionals (when used) are lost to the headlights

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

37 minutes ago, Ezrider said:

i have noticed this as well. i have also noticed some automotive manufactures have noticed this as well you will notice a lot of cars the daytime running lamp will turn off on the side witch the turn signal is turned on. 

My wife's dodge durango does this.  

9 hours ago, Ezrider said:

i have noticed this as well. i have also noticed some automotive manufactures have noticed this as well you will notice a lot of cars the daytime running lamp will turn off on the side witch the turn signal is turned on. 

Yes I was going to comment on that as well.  Speaks volumes doesn't it that they know its an issue and some have done something about it. But apparently they don't view it as a problem when headlight switch is on!

And agree with everyones comments on the "side" lights. Hidden and smallenough to be useless-in particular in winter when trucks are covered in road grime.

The Ford dealer here in Mass who sells the most 650/750's in New England always ordered fender mounted turn signals as an option.  Since they came out with the new hood like two years ago I guess that is no longer an option as all their new trucks no longer have them

Funny this came up. I was coming up on a Hartt tanker unit this morning on the Maine Pike and rear signals and brakes lights had a small strobe flash in them to get your attention.

Think alot of the lighting issues is to make the unit aero enough to meet the CARB and Fed requirements.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

Funny this came up. I was coming up on a Hartt tanker unit this morning on the Maine Pike and rear signals and brakes lights had a small strobe flash in them to get your attention.

Think alot of the lighting issues is to make the unit aero enough to meet the CARB and Fed requirements.

No doubt with respect to the fender mounted turn signals-oh and air horns under the front fender.  Must be worth at least ,0032 mpg😎.  And remember when some guys would tie a silk stocking in front of their horns to keep snow out?  No problem with them under the fender in the winter-outa site, outa mind!

• Like 1

Never did the stocking thing but had stand off covers on a few and even had made a little deflector to push snow and rain up and off to the sides.

I really think the truck designers are the same people who design the blob cars of today. Designers used to be practical and have a  knowledge of what is practical and needed. Now the worry about the cup holders, power ports and Ergonomics of the touch screen.

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

...and a truck with fender-mounted blinkers is less likely to drive down the road unknowingly signalling a lane change or turn, because you can SEE the blinky light on your fender clear as day.

Then again, does it really matter if people can see a car's blinker if the person driving it never uses it?  Sometimes I wonder if they quit teaching that in driver's ed...nobody uses theirs, and everybody ignores yours when you use it.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I thought turn signals must be optional on newer vehicles since they are not used very much.  HA   I really hate it when I am sitting to wait for a vehicle to pass an intersection and the sucker  makes a turn on the road I am sitting.  ERRRR!

• Like 2

If you check, typical European regulations say the car has to have amber rear turn signals.  Thus many of the newer cars have them(so they are compliant), but like mentioned, you can't see them due to the insane brightness of the LED tail lights surrounding them.   I find myself pulling up to a stoplight and having to shield my eyes behind many of the newer cars.  The brake lights will burn your retina!   They think this is safer?  Likely, but when idiots aren't looking up from their phone, they still aren't going to see them!!

Yes, most chevy's and likely Mopars have LED daytime running lights that are so bright they have to turn them off so you can see the turn signal.  WTF?  When will it ever end?  I grew up with a love to drive.  Couldn't wait to get my license.  Today I literally don't care if I get into the drivers seat anymore.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 10:00 AM, MHfred said:

I thought turn signals must be optional on newer vehicles since they are not used very much.  HA   I really hate it when I am sitting to wait for a vehicle to pass an intersection and the sucker  makes a turn on the road I am sitting.  ERRRR!

yes!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

On 11/19/2018 at 11:22 AM, Freightrain said:

If you check, typical European regulations say the car has to have amber rear turn signals.  Thus many of the newer cars have them(so they are compliant), but like mentioned, you can't see them due to the insane brightness of the LED tail lights surrounding them.   I find myself pulling up to a stoplight and having to shield my eyes behind many of the newer cars.  The brake lights will burn your retina!   They think this is safer?  Likely, but when idiots aren't looking up from their phone, they still aren't going to see them!!

Yes, most chevy's and likely Mopars have LED daytime running lights that are so bright they have to turn them off so you can see the turn signal.  WTF?  When will it ever end?  I grew up with a love to drive.  Couldn't wait to get my license.  Today I literally don't care if I get into the drivers seat anymore.

Kind of the same way I feel about driving a truck anymore.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.