If I win the $1billion Powerball, is it worth buying Mack?

I figured I would have some fun and ask this question here because it seriously crossed my mind. If I (or anyone else here) won the powerball $1 billion would it be enough to buy Mack and would it be worth it if the aim is to again make it a true American brand of top quality and innovative trucks to compete globally?

Of course there are many lucrative things one could invest a billion in or what ever  is left after tax, but could a stand alone Mack be profitable and viable in this day an age? I think even if it was weaned from Volvo it may still need joint venture partners. I am not sure how much Mack is worth but If I won and could buy it for a price while having millions left to invest in other profitable ventures I would do it and tap the passionate brain trust here to get it going. I am sure others here are probably thinking the same 😀

well first off, if you win one billion in the lottery, the government is going to take 50% off the top in taxes, so you will only have 500  million to play with. 

and i think vulva has done so much damage to the Mack name that it will never bounce back to the glory it once had no matter what anyone does. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Plus Volvo has gutted the Mack infrastructure  by taking over Hagerstown  and the new river plant ,they would also structure any sale where the buyer would have to assume vast debt that they have incured, so basiclly you would be buying the Mack name and a truck assembly plant at mcaungie.Oh and the price would be somthing like 3 or 4 Billion dollars,so it would look good on the annual stock report.

11 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

That half is only the federal tax still got State of N.Y. and NYC tax and what ever borough or county tax .  take the 2 million you'll end up with and buy an older MACK you like and have it made better than new.

...and still have a little pocket change left over.

33 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

That half is only the federal tax still got State of N.Y. and NYC tax and what ever borough or county tax .  take the 2 million you'll end up with and buy an older MACK you like and have it made better than new.

Lmao! such a more practical approach. The 'little' left after taxes may just be enough to save some old Macks from scarp yards or that were left derelict and restore to take to shows. 

• Like 1

If only it were so simple... First off, even if the tooling is still around, no way will the old Mack engines meet emissions. Transmission wise, the Maxitorques are still around and I doubt Volvo wants them, but half the market wants automated transmissions. So better call Cummins, Eaton, and Allison. The Mack axles are still around and competitive, same with the bogie, and frame rails could just use the standard dimensions and 34" spacing. Cab wise, the conventionals are old but still beat Volvo's on aerodynamics while the MR and LE will only sell in urban operations where survival is everything. To succeed on the world market a cabover is needed, and anybody seen where the MH tooling went?

• 1 month later...

The short answer is that in order to develop engines you need a global partnership - which means a lot of money. In order to sell trucks you need to sell to fleets; that means being aerodynamically competitive - which means a lot of money. And then there's the traditional business aspects like re-establishing dealerships; and if you want the best people as has been stated, you need to pay more than anyone else. All of which takes.....a lot of money.

Short answer: the trucking industry has changed and a solely North American company can't cut it.

P.S. Last time I checked, Navistar was looking at some kind of takeover/partnership with Volkswagon.