Engine 165

1947 type 45 issues

Hello I just purchased a 1947 type 45 . Runs like a sewing machine .  Brakes stick and front end is wobbly when hitting a bump in a turn .  I guess my first issue is the lights don't work ... the siren does and the beacon on top turns but doesnt light up no taillight headlights or pump lights is one issue .  The guy I bought it from suggested replacing the rubber brake lines to fix the brake sticking issue he replaced the hydrovac and wheel cylinders and master .  Also I am very mechanically inclined just not with 6 volt positive.   Any help would be appreciated.   I'm new to owning old Mack's but love to wrench just looking for some advice I guess . . 

The wobble could be simple as misadjusted wheel bearings, worn tie rod ends or a worn drag link to worn king pins, start at the easiest the bearing just because the drums were off to do the brakes and than check the balance for wear. Tie rod ends and drag link end are rebuild-able and I believe may also have some adjustment one the ball and socket .

The 6 volt electrics work the same as 12 volts only less voltage more amps. Has the system been converted to negative ground or is it positive ground? Lighting start with basics like fuses, bulbs, grounds, switches and finally the wiring harness.  Beacon turns than look to the light contact between the motor shaft and light head. Sometimes the contacts loose their tension so no power to the bulbs when it spins.

Just on g.p. I would replace the rubber brake hoses, you only have a single master system and just for peace of mind I would do all the rubber lines.

Good luck with you Mack and post up some pics when you can.    Paul

Edited by 41chevy

-,Tried to figure the lights tonight .  Had 6 volts at fuse panel and nothing at switch so I'm confused 

sounds like a wiring issue ,might be best to rewire all,my Mack was like a rats nest with wiring added through the years, check all the steel brake lines too ,I had a steel line that rotted away. good luck and post photos

How do I add photos from my phone it wont let me