1945 Mack NR

Paso

Thanks Vlad, glad you found some diff centers

No white flys here, just them anyoing little black buggers also known as "dunny buggies" (dunny is slang for toilet and buddgie is a small Australian bird, hence small fly that hangs around a toilet)

My grandfather drove NR Macks after WW2 as log trucks and always told me they had a top speed of 36 mph 

Paul 

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Thanks Vlad, glad you found some diff centers

No white flys here, just them anyoing little black buggers also known as "dunny buggies" (dunny is slang for toilet and buddgie is a small Australian bird, hence small fly that hangs around a toilet)

My grandfather drove NR Macks after WW2 as log trucks and always told me they had a top speed of 36 mph 

Paul 

Paul, got it about them black buggers. At least one good thing seems to me with white flys - black ones have gone off a toilet for the freezy time. Currently we have a couple degrees above Celsias zero with forecast of warming up to +8 for at least a week. Quite nice for a late authumn.

Pretty interesting to hear your grandfather drove NR's. So far I have never met a person in Russia who did that. Only some ones who remember them driving around. My Dutch friend told me he could do as much as 65 km/h with his NR on a motorway. I noted the most NR's in Australia rode on 20 inch wheels all over, probably 12.00-20, quite common tyre size, for the Soviet Union either. Suppose it could bring some top speed decrease relating to 11.00-24 factory wheels which were installed on the Dutch truck. But doing a count 36 mph is 57.6 km/h so not the speed you'd like to have reaching the stars anyway.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I will ask Orville the 96 year old that owned all three of these NR's what the top speed was as he drove two of them for years on construction sites etc..

His long term memory is great, most of the time when he talks about the Mack NR he says how much money he earned with them as they just kept going.

It is to bad he is 96 or he'd still be driving them, all 3 are seized from sitting, I have filled the cylinders with a diesel and ATF mix which has been successful in the past with freeing up seized from sitting engines :)

22 hours ago, Paso said:

Hi Vlad If you need anything from the power train that I have just ask, as i would love to donate it to your project :)

I realize your quite far from me but if you are stuck and mine is free, we are not so far away.

I won't be using any of my power train unless i make a static display of the motor and trans.  :)

The picture is the back end of a 8V71 with a Vs2-8 overdrive transmission that i had removed from a bus project i have been working on that day.

I see reducing the pictures significantly are a breeze to post on BMT.

20181029_104818 (Mobile).jpg

Paso, (do I do correct calling you this way?)

Looks like you're going to make a fast rat or hot rod from those blue body parts. What kind of chassis do you use to install the cab on? Of what I see as a potential imperfection I'd look for some different (larger/wider/brighter?) wheels. Those big 11.00-24 Mack tyres make it look as a really huge machine. And I like it. In fact I had to even install 12.00R24 having no chances for the less size stock 11.00-24 tyres.

If you see nothing wrong with that I will definitely keep your offer about the drive train in my mind. The most of my mechanical needs seem covered up at the moment but some Lanova parts are quite scarce to purchase. I have possibilitis to ship heavy stuff from New Jersey state so in theory your old iron might find a way to my place. Once again, no real plans at the moment. If I have something particular in my mind on the matter I will PM you.

Thanks, Vlad

Hi Vlad  my real name is Paul but all forums know me as Paso :)

I acquired a 1977 Pace Arrow motor home from the family of a deceased person. ( friend of family ) 

This Motor home was sitting on a 1977 Chevrolet 1 ton Chassis with only 13,000 original miles on the odometer.

The roof rotted out from sitting and ruined everything inside.

The Chassis is perfect and still original paint in areas, the tires all 7 of them are matching ( cracked to crap but still hold air )

The 454 engine and turbo 400 transmission runs like a top.

I had always wanted to mount an old body on a newer chassis and can't resist starting this project.

I know it is blasphemy to use this NR as the donor but i'm afraid this is the only way this "old look " truck would see the roads again.

The only consolation is some of my parts will go to a restoration project like yours.

I have other completed vehicles that are "stock"  so i don't feel bad using this NR ( some may not agree ) :)

Some others on this site have made Rat Rods and Restomods so i hope to find them again as i don't remember there names. 

I think that's one reasonable solution in your case. To be honest I also felt some "back thoughts" seeing you building a rat rod of the NR. But thinking more I realized 1st you have 3 trucks and used only one for the project. 2nd what you actually use is just a L-model (aftermarket to the NR!) closed cab and front parts such as hood, grille and fenders. And 3rd and the main - that's your truck so your way to do whatever you like :)

Thanks for the insight. What book are you getting all these tidbits of information?? ie: the L model ??

You had mentioned earlier about a reference to a book of Mack history.

It would be interesting to see some history on these NR or similar models like one of your donors i see has no roof etc..

Vlad will agree this is pretty close to the bible on Mack military trucks.  Paul

s-l1600.jpg.338424e32efa6f595b148fcfb3b1bd72.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE