Rarely do they fall off easily, unless they have been off "recently".  I see the flat spot on the top edge, try deeper around the center, and work around the side that is accessible.  It will come, just need to get that one lucky hit.  I went through this when I swapped on the air steering parts to my truck.  After 50 years, things get stuck pretty tight.

I am not following what you are recommending

24 minutes ago, Quickfarms said:

I am not following what you are recommending

He is telling you to hit it closer to the center

Get someone else to hold a good size sledge hammer on the opposite side 

Also if you can put decent pressure on it say with a jack or gear puller will help as well 

And use a heavier hammer than 4 pounds as it wont bruise it as much

Paul 

Yup.  Around the center of the arm thickness, not so much at the top edge where the nut is.  Yes, holding another sledge on the back side will help transmit more energy into the joint. It will hold the arm from just bouncing away from your hammer hit.

You basically need to distort the hole in the arm so the tie rod taper will unlock itself and fall out.  

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 1/7/2020 at 10:22 PM, Quickfarms said:

The draglink end is still stuck on the pitman arm and has not budged. I smacked the side with the 4lb and nothing. I then flipped the castle nut and hit it repeatedly and still nothing. I even tried some heat and that did is make the grease smoke

Any ideas?

cffa2c62e31429b98128f09d1a260488.jpg

The good news is I was able to unscrew the control valve by hand after removing the clamp

0533f9af21ef263b6ae5051361b98fbd.jpg

This afternoon the control valve was delivered to garrison for rebuild or remanufacure.

They said almost all the parts are still available. If the valve is leaking through the spool they said usually the bore cannot be honed and must be replaced

That's good news. Did they give any idea as to turn around time?

On 10/3/2018 at 6:14 PM, Quickfarms said:

Both of the battery box covers are missing. Are the aluminum covers available?

03abc2c29da7c8f7c2327a8b5c5e47b5.jpg

bb333bcd5d415e20dc06a868b5bffdb9.jpg

Since this is a California truck, is there an issue with only running two batteries? If I continue to run two batteries would it be hard to put both of them in one battery box?

there was a guy in Florida making stainless steel covers. both eastern and western. i forget who it was but he was always bringing them to the mack show out in PA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the best way to clean out the radiator and block?

The previous owner used water and no anti freeze so it is a brown mess. I have drained it several times and refilled it. Should I just keep doing that or is there a better way?

Also there was some brown slimy goo that plugged the drain. It’s almost like soft pliable silicone. Any ideas on what that is?