PaLawman

1977/78 Mack factory A/C unit plastic shroud needed..

Hello, Does anyone happen to have an R Model factory air conditioning unit that has the plastic shroud in decent condition? or possibly an NOS one? I need one as mine is cracked and very brittle. Basically not very usable. Thanks!

IMG_5439[1].JPG

I have that unit in my r.  Mark at cook brothers thinks that might be available. I glassed and dyed my original.

Thanks!! The Cook Brothers store in W-B? 

Next year I am gonna need a dash too. Hopefully they are available too.

Mark is very good on macks but Jeff is super smart and Tom is very very good . I have been dealing with them  from the time Rodger left franconi's  And Micky and her aswipe husband run the company in the ground and Lee and Jerry sold out McGeorge's truck parts. Bryan is the driveshaft guy and he is always willing to help out a person. Cook brothers bought out  mack up in Dunmore but I always went to those guys up in Pittston they just gave more of an effort to find the parts I needed.

The entire dash is available. I had Mack order me it. When it arrived it is no longer the vinyl padded dash,but rather a solid molded chunk with the brackets riveted on. It also mounts differently to a bracket below the glove door instead of under the rail via the tabs. I quickly returned it and repaired and dyed the original. 

I may have the names mixed up at cook bros. it was the shorter balder guy with glasses.  The vent balls are still available but the female backing is not included with them so don't destroy the back sides.

2 hours ago, Coenut said:

The entire dash is available. I had Mack order me it. When it arrived it is no longer the vinyl padded dash,but rather a solid molded chunk with the brackets riveted on. It also mounts differently to a bracket below the glove door instead of under the rail via the tabs. I quickly returned it and repaired and dyed the original. 

I may have the names mixed up at cook bros. it was the shorter balder guy with glasses.  The vent balls are still available but the female backing is not included with them so don't destroy the back sides.

You're surely joking. What Volvo is selling for the main dashboard is hard plastic?

Might be polypropylene, styrene or some other form of junk.  It was garbage.  No metal substructure at all. The tabs that bolt below the windshield are held on the the dash with 2 small rivets.  Cb hookup holes are predrilled on pass side by the glove box.

Do you remember how much the dash was or the part number? Also, I called and gave them the VIN and they are having trouble finding the A/C part. 

Call triple cities in Scranton ask for Chris in the parts dept. he looked up the dash. He might even still have them there.  There is plenty in inventory.  The ac parts I was behind the counter at cook brothers and saw the exploded diagram. It showed 0 in the system for the ac pod but he was confident he could find something.

Do you have a cummins in your r7

On 9/25/2018 at 11:30 AM, PaLawman said:

Hello, Does anyone happen to have an R Model factory air conditioning unit that has the plastic shroud in decent condition? or possibly an NOS one? I need one as mine is cracked and very brittle. Basically not very usable. Thanks!

IMG_5439[1].JPG

I MIGHT have a brand new one here. I'll look if I get time. 

That would be great!!!  Let me know. I left a message at the Mack Museum for the correct part numbers and they haven't got back to me yet. There is also a side piece on the passenger side I may need too. I really appreciate it.

Amos. 

Found the shroud. Colors are a little botchy. And a tiny crack. I'll try to get pics to upload. 

On 9/27/2018 at 3:37 AM, Coenut said:

Might be polypropylene, styrene or some other form of junk.  It was garbage.  No metal substructure at all. The tabs that bolt below the windshield are held on the the dash with 2 small rivets.  Cb hookup holes are predrilled on pass side by the glove box.

That's just the dash which was used in R, DM etc model cabs in late 80's and further to 90's and even 2000's. I have it in my 1988 R and it's mostly solid after unknown number of kilometers (2 millions?). It was installed on RD600 up to 2004 and maybe even later on DM and DMM, I don't know. But this seems to me as a reason of possibility to purchase the new part from Mack/Volvo. Not the original style part but direct factory replacement.