Sign in to follow this  
b422

B422

I am thinking about trying to fire up this old girl. It has a EN 438. What oil/filter do i need and spark plugs and wires. Is there anything that i need to watch out for? The throttle cables seem free. I was gonna use the batteries from my backhoe to use they are a type 24 500 cca. Would those be ok to test the truck? 

its only 12 volt,one hot 12 volt will turn it fine. as for filter and wires, id see if it runs first then screw with the rest. 

Also see if it is positive or negative ground

Keep a fire extinguisher handy just incase.     

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

its only 12 volt,one hot 12 volt will turn it fine. as for filter and wires, id see if it runs first then screw with the rest. 

the guy said it has been siting for about 10 years. so i would like to change the oil before I fire it up.

How can i tell if it is positive ground?

2 hours ago, b422 said:

the guy said it has been siting for about 10 years. so i would like to change the oil before I fire it up.

How can i tell if it is positive ground?

Follow positive cable does it go to ground or starter?    terry:MackLogo:

Ok the cable that goes to the starter is not labeled or marked. The cable that goes to the frame is a silver strap. There were no batteries in the truck when i got it. 

20180912_194314.jpg

If I remember right, it will not much matter if you switch up polarity on accident being such simple machines. You may have the voltage/amp gauge read backwards or something but as long as it is a 12v system and not a 6v I don't think you will hurt anything. 

The post sizes on the battery are different positive being the larger. You should be able to tell the difference in the cable connections. The ground strap in your picture looks to have been modified so it could very well be pos ground.

• Like 1

thank you for all the help.

i took off the line to the frame and checked it to a battery and it fits the positive on the battery.