History of Roadway Express

kscarbel2

On 8/4/2018 at 10:31 PM, Hayseed said:

I'm continually amazed at the Incredibly poor opinion you North American Guys have of the venerable 903..

Here in Australia they had (& still have) a reputation for being very durable & reliable motors (albeit a bit thirsty) that made a lot of people a lot of money. 903 powered IH ACCO's & LNT9000's were basically the Truck of choice for Owner Drivers & small Fleets throughout the 70's & 80's.  With Quite few still  seen on our Highways right up until the early 90's.

Every Grain harvest/Cotton picking season they can be still seen earning their Keep..

What were the  903 Issues in North american market??

I only had experience with one 903. The company I worked for had one that broke the crank; they sent it to Cummins for major overhaul. A couple of years later it broke that crank too, so they sold the truck.

• Like 1

Theakerstwo: Back in the Roadway time frame you were referring to (F leetstar/ B67)-I believe the H ,F and B Mack's of that era all had Mack engines(May bee some F's with Cummins), the whites and IH's all had Cummins engines, this was before the era of V6&8 Detroit's in the Mack's or Whites. That era did have some cracker boxes with Detroit's. I don't recall ever seeing any Roadway Cannonballs.:)

• 4 months later...
On 8/4/2018 at 10:31 PM, Hayseed said:

I'm continually amazed at the Incredibly poor opinion you North American Guys have of the venerable 903..

Here in Australia they had (& still have) a reputation for being very durable & reliable motors (albeit a bit thirsty) that made a lot of people a lot of money. 903 powered IH ACCO's & LNT9000's were basically the Truck of choice for Owner Drivers & small Fleets throughout the 70's & 80's.  With Quite few still  seen on our Highways right up until the early 90's.

Every Grain harvest/Cotton picking season they can be still seen earning their Keep..

What were the  903 Issues in North american market??

The company I drove for in the 80's had several VT903's, I drove one in a 74 Transtar. Never had any issues with them that I remember.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 4 months later...

My Dad worked at Roadway from 1961 to the mid 80s, He told me Roadway went to Mack and said  "We want to order  Macks with a Detroit in it"  and Mack said "We only put Macks in Macks. "Roadway responded did we mention we want this many tractors. Mack responded which Detroit!  Dad also told me they used to pay cash for their trucks back in the day. 

• Like 1