Bumbog

Hard start drives great ?

Cxu613. Just noticed yesterday I went to start the truck and it took two attempts to start. First time it’s done that I have 526035 miles on it . Once started it drives fine in fact iam hauling 45,000lbs to Wyoming and it’s done just great now iam parked at truck stop and I let it idle for a hour and turned it off . I went to start it and it did it again hard to start.  Since the beginning if I tap the key it would fire right up now it seems in the last two days it’s struggling.  I called the dealer and right off the bat he says oh you sound like you need 6 injectors .  Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this instead of just throwing down 6 grand and hoping the dealer was right ??

First off year of the vehicle helps to identify closer what we’re dealing with! Second if the engine is a red engine your dealer is likely correct. 2 options 6000 in repairs or set fire to it and collect the insurance.😠

Edited by fjh

I have one other thought and question is your clutch brake working? If not. Check to see it hasn’t broken and taken out the timing sensor on the flywheel just something to look for 

From all my research, it seems this is a classic symptom of injectors/cups failing. The failure creates a situation where you lose prime. I will also tell you I've been nursing this problem for months. Other than difficulty starting, the truck runs strong. Sometimes I will even have to use the primer pump for 4 or 5 pumps to get life. 

Point is, at least for me, it is not $6K immediately! Seems you can nurse it along long enough to get your bucks in a row. I'm sure once cooler weather sets in, it may become a more immediate repair. 

• Thanks 1