197? RS700L CAB

SMAQ TRANSPORT

Question

Aloha,

I recently acquired my father's old 197? RS700l from my uncle. The truck is a gold bulldog @ only has 45,000 original miles. The cab is completely rusted as it sat for nearly 30 years near the ocean. Surprisingly, the cab is the only component that took most of the beating from the salt air. I'm trying to find a cab that fits and am not sure if any " R " model cabs will fit or does it have to be RS700L specifically? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

5 answers to this question

The R model cowl was the same from 1966 up until the introduction of the sloped hood RD. The 2 models you cant use would be a Superliner or RD cab without modifing the cowl for it.  I would find a cab from the late 80s on up. I think they went to a galvanized cab in 85 and it kept rust away better

?

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the help Lmackattack. When looking at some RD cabs, they look like the RS cab with the little cowl in the center of the windshield. What’s difference between the 2? Sorry, but I’m new to the Mack world and being in Hawaii just don’t want to get stuck with a cab that doesn’t work.

The differnce in cabs is mainly the cowl where the hood lines up to the cab . Older R models had the "flat top" hood. the later RD macks had a Sloped hood and the profile at the rear of the hood was different. 

if you google search for a 1982 mack R model and then look at a 1994 RD look at where the hoods meet the cab on the drivers side and you will see what im talking about.

• Thanks 1